Application Integration
1751750 Members
5737 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Why is a volume still showing used space when files have been deleted from VShpere?

SOLVED
Go to solution
scott_edwards1
Occasional Contributor

Why is a volume still showing used space when files have been deleted from VShpere?

I deleted all VM's associated with a volume from within vSphere about 2 hours ago. vSphere shows capacity 120 GB, free space 119 GB. When I view the corresponding volume in the Nimble web page it is still reporting 34GB used. Is this a bug or am I being impatient in waiting for the clean up process? With the speed of the Nimble I would doubt it takes this long to correctly report volume usage. There are no snapshots on the volume and I have checked the status from a couple of different browsers.

data-1.PNG.pngdata-2.PNG.png

3 REPLIES 3
jpmeredith
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Re: Why is a volume still showing used space when files have been deleted from VShpere?

This KB article explains block unmap, why it happens, and how to make it work in VMware.

Nimble InfoSight

wen35
Trusted Contributor

Re: Why is a volume still showing used space when files have been deleted from VShpere?

Hi Scott, I just posted a blog on space reclamation - hope you can find it useful:

Space Reclamation in vSphere 5.5 with Nimble Storage | super sonic dog (S.S.D)

scott_edwards1
Occasional Contributor

Very detailed post, nice job and thanks for the further information that indicates the Nimble processes this in its own time and doesn't bring the array to a screeching halt.