Array Performance and Data Protection
1755512 Members
3516 Online
108834 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Discussion: how are you protecting your data?

marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

Re: Discussion: how are you protecting your data?

I thought so. Weird thing with the exchange mail stores and logs. Snapshot produces 5 snaps not one per volume. SQL DB and logs behave as I'd expect. One snap operation per volume = 0ne snap on Nimble.  

Not quite there yet..

marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

I have discovered the following:-

Vol collection contains 6 DB and 6 log volumes and the collection show 6 snapshots corresponding the the Commvault Job ID. Unfortunately the individual volumes show 6 snaps each. Therefore 12 volumes with 6 snapshots = 72 snaps. I'm missing something or else there's a bug/limitation here?

Regards,

Mark.

Not applicable

Mark,

In the lab I configured two Exchange 2010 databases to be protected with a single Simpana subclient:

- 2 Exchange database volumes

- 2 Exchange log volumes

- All volumes (4) in the same volume collection

- 1 Simpana subclient (Exchange Database) with the contents of both databases (Microsoft Information Store\DB1 & Microsoft Information Store\DB2) included

I see one volume collection snapshot corresponding to the single Simpana job ID, as well as a single snapshot for each volume in the collection with the same Simpana job ID.

In your use case are you protecting all 6 Exchange databases with a single subclient or multiple subclients?

Thanks, Bill

marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

Alas multiple so I've created 6 vol collections. Each collection contains DB and corresponding log volume inline with the subclient.

We did multiple subclients to have multiple streams on the go and it's not such a chore because exchange is the only DB snap/backup configured in this way. SQL is generally straightforward i.e. A User Database and corresponding log volume pair.

Delighted so far just a shame that one can't purge out the 3 hourly (snap every 3 hours from 09:00 until 18:00) every 4 snaps like you can with Nimblestorage own snaps.

I'm sure this might become an option in the longer term because our 2 exchange server total 11 DB and log volume pairs. Commvault keeps snaps for 7 days so that's 4 * 7=28 for the 3 hourly multiplied by 22. 616 snaps plus 7 daily multiplied by 22.  154 snaps. Total snaps 770!

Good Fun,

Mark.

marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

We have 2 exchange servers one with six mail stores and the othe with 5. Could consolidate into 2 subclients but not an issue now I've done the new volume collections

marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

Thanks to everyone for their tips and suggestions. Collectively we got there in the end.

Fabulous forum