Array Performance and Data Protection
1748180 Members
4209 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Does anyone else see an increase in CPU usage in infosight after the firmware upgrade to 2.3.X?

SOLVED
Go to solution
rvvliet78110
Valued Contributor

Does anyone else see an increase in CPU usage in infosight after the firmware upgrade to 2.3.X?

Currently we have 6 Nimble Arrays and on five of them we see an increase in CPU usage from like 14% to 37% for months ever since the upgrade to firmware 2.3.9.X

On one of our arrays which is very busy we wen't up from 74% to 150%+ and sometimes 248%.

I'm wondering if anyone else sees an increase in CPU usage in the Infosight graphs.

Thnx in advance,

RickScreen Shot 2016-03-15 at 17.10.55.pngScreen Shot 2016-03-15 at 17.10.44.pngScreen Shot 2016-03-15 at 17.10.37.png

10 REPLIES 10
Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Re: Does anyone else see an increase in CPU usage in infosight after the firmware upgrade to 2.3.X?

Hey Rick,

Interesting observation. What controller models do you have, out of interest? And are you doing anything special in 2.3 such as encryption or volume pinning?

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
rvvliet78110
Valued Contributor

Hi Nick,

We see it on 2 of our 240's and one 300 and also on 2 our 2 test nimbles (210)

We don't use anything like encryption of pinning, just as simple as possible.

Thnx

Rick

Not applicable

Rick,

We've got exactly the same issue on a CS215.  We've got a call logged with support and I'm waiting for them to come back to us.

We can see that it started occurring immediately after upgrading from firmware 2.2.10 to 2.3.9.2.  The load profile has been pretty consistent before and after and the CPU stats just stand out as an anomaly.

I'll let you know what we hear back from support.

Kind regards

James

rvvliet78110
Valued Contributor

Hi James,

Thanks for your reply, It's nice to know we are not alone

We are also working with Support on this and I'll let you know if we get any further on this.

Kind regards,

Rick

Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Hi all,

It's probably worth mentioning that the Performance Report part of Infosight is a rollup of the weekly performance of the CPU for the system, not just for application I/O but background work such as garbage collection. Therefore, sometimes these reports can throw up "false positives" in indicating CPU usage is higher than it is.

It's worth going into the "Performance Details" part of the asset and drill into the time that the report is showing spikes of CPU usage, and see if or when they occur. Chances are there wouldn't be many CPU spikes noticed after the firmware upgrade.

Here's an example of one of my customers, who is seeing the same increase within the Performance Report:

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 09.05.42.png

But the deeper analysis of the Performance within the asset (a tool that support call Coral, as it correlates everything from I/O, latency, CPU/cache overprovisioning etc), not much has changed from before the firmware upgrade with average latency & I/O - it's still a very respectable average latency of 1-2ms

Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 09.05.20.png

Having said the above, there are numerous background features in NimbleOS 2.3 for I/O blender QoS and enhanced I/O handling, which may be more taxing on systems which have less CPU such as the CS200.

Nick Dyer
rvvliet78110
Valued Contributor

Hi Nick,

I'll look into it and update the post.

Thx,

Rick

PS. Are you the Nick we met at VMworld last time? My colleague won the gopro with the volume limit question.

Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

PS. Are you the Nick we met at VMworld last time? My colleague won the gopro with the volume limit question.

Maybe

Nick Dyer
Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor

Something else has just occured to me, and this is purely speculation... it seems that everyone posting in this thread is on CS2xx as well as NimbleOS 2.3.9.2. That firmware has been deprecated and 2.3.14.0 is the recommended release, with about 70 bugfixes between the releases. I'm wondering whether it's worth testing an upgrade to see if it reflects any change?

Nick Dyer
rvvliet78110
Valued Contributor

That has occurred to me too, I'll update one of our test arrays.