New Discussion юеВ

Get-SpbmReplicationGroup doesn't return Nimble info

SOLVED
Go to solution
k_erik
Advisor

Get-SpbmReplicationGroup doesn't return Nimble info

Hello,

I have got both 3PARs and Nimble arrays and use some VMware VVols.
In PowerCLI when I run Get-SpbmReplicationGroup I only get info about 3PAR replication. My Nimble arrays return no information even though I have VMware VVol VMs with replication.
In the Nimble vCenter plugin I can delete the original VM and claim it on the downstream array so the replication is working.

I have unregistered and registered the VASA provider using the Nimble GUI. vCenter has been restarted. Though no luck. Any ideas?

vCenter is running 6.5.0 U2 build 9451637
Nimble arrays are running 5.0.6.0-593144-opt
PowerCLI is 11.1.0.11289667

14 REPLIES 14
mamatadesaiNim
HPE Blogger

Re: Get-SpbmReplicationGroup doesn't return Nimble info

Hello,

Thanks for posting and letting us know.

Have you configured the replication line of service in the VMs?  Could you please share a screenshot of that?

Were the 2 nimble arrays configured as replication partners with folder replication?

Regards,

Mamata

HPE Nimble Storage
k_erik
Advisor

Thanks. Seems like I can't share photos until a few days after I registered, at least that's what the FAQ I found says and the upload an image button on my profile doesn't do much.
Will post some screenshots when it starts working.
The nimble arrays are replicating, downstream is listed as alive under Replication partners in the Nimble GUI on primary. Volume collections on primary show 46 which are on a schedule and have a remote recovery point. On the downstream array under Volume collections the 46 collections are listed with | REPLICA after their volumes count.

mamatadesaiNim
HPE Blogger
Solution

Interesting :) Hope that gets resolved soon.  Meanwhile, take a look at this slide, it's page 18 from this PDF https://h22168.www2.hpe.com/docs/vmware/vmworld/STO3305BUS_VVol_Tech_Deep_Dive.pdf.  Does your VM storage policy have that last part "Replication --> custom" configured?

Capture.PNG

The next thing to confirm is if the VM has a replication group, automatic or otherwise.  This is slide 19 from the same PDF.

Capture-1.PNG

--m

HPE Nimble Storage
k_erik
Advisor

Thanks. The Storage Policy is configured with replication, screenshot below
The Volume Collections in the Nimble GUI

mamatadesaiNim
HPE Blogger

What you have is good and necessary.  In addition to that, we need to tell VMware that we will be using vasa3 for replication and recovery.

The "custom --> replication" section is missing from your storage policy, please see the bottom section of my first screenshot above, I updated it to contain a red rectangle.  After configuring that, you will need to apply that policy to a VM, and also choose a "replication group" for every VM, red rectangle in the second screenshot above.  Both these are required to setup vasa3 replication.  If you have trouble with any of these steps, feel free to open a support request, and we can help you out.

If you find my responses useful, please let me know, with "kudos" :)

--m

HPE Nimble Storage
k_erik
Advisor

Thanks, but that option is only for 3PAR. It does not show for Nimble policies, and it is not mentioned in the guide, page 89/90, https://infosight.hpe.com/InfoSight/media/cms/active/pubs_VMware_Integration_Guide_NOS_50x.pdf

I logged a support case on Monday, but they are running out ideas. That's why I turned to the community.

mamatadesaiNim
HPE Blogger

Apologies, I will open an issue to track a doc change, those instructions need to include a few more steps for vasa3.  We are also working on a blog.  And I can also connect with support if you provide me the case number.

That section for "replication" on the VM storage policy exists and pops up with the Nimble VP as well.  Here is the screenshot from my vCenter, took me some time to track down 6.5 :) since we moved to 6.7.

Capture-2.PNG

Capture-3.PNG

--m

HPE Nimble Storage
k_erik
Advisor

Great! That was the missing piece of the puzzle, thank you :)
I think the cache in my browser played a trick on me and didn't show me the updated screenshot with the red rectangle you added earlier, I thought you meant the rectangle in the screenshot below it. Sorry about that.
It was pretty discrete earlier before your update, so great if the documentation gets an update.

Is this where the mutually exclusive part of SPBM replication and using the Nimble vCenter plugin comes in to play? Or will I still be able to claim VMs on site 2 using the plugin?

I'm eagerly awaiting 6.7 myself, just need our backup vendor to support it. Or have RMC support VVols on Nimble :)

mamatadesaiNim
HPE Blogger

Good to hear we got you rolling!

Yes, if you configure vasa3 replication, please use the vasa3 powerCLI/apis to failover/recover.  The vcenter plugin restore is not compatible with vasa3.

Quick question: curious to know what your planned mechanism for vasa3 use will be: powerCLI or API?

--m

HPE Nimble Storage