108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Replication with Dissimilar Hardware

SOLVED
Go to solution
Daniel-san
Frequent Advisor

Replication with Dissimilar Hardware

Was surprised after I searched for this and found no results here with the subject line of this post.  I'm looking for recommendations on replicating dissimilar hardware, and who's had success with what products out there.  Ideally everyone would buy two or more Nimbles, but in the real world, many customers cannot afford to do this after their initial Nimble investment, and many never can.  Yet they still have a very legitimate need to replicate their data to a different physical site, for D/R protection.

So what's everyone using out there, say for a few physical Windows servers, and some VMware (or HyperV) hosts?

3 REPLIES 3
mlucas57
Solution

Hello Daniel.  I get asked this same questions a lot and I would say a majority of the time I’m seeing customers going with Veeam or Unitrends. Both products have worked well for my customers where they repurposed their old SAN as a DR target for their new Nimble array. 

http://www.veeam.com/

http://www.unitrends.com/products/software

sgalbincea137
Advisor

We are currently using Zerto and have been quite impressed. We recently began migrating from EqualLogic at our main location to a pair of CS460s, but are keeping the DR site EqualLogic for now due to budget constraints. We will also be using Veeam replication for those VMs that we don't need quite the same level of recovery on, along with DataDomain replication to replicate our Veeam backup data.

Virtualization Lead Architect
BEMA Information Technologies
tmoore106
Trusted Contributor

I have customers using all the usual suspects mentioned above, and also using Vsphere replication with success. I forget what version of vmware includes it for free, but if you have that version..... the price is right.