New Discussion юеВ

Re: Restore snapshot to another server

SOLVED
Go to solution
dajonx135
Advisor

Restore snapshot to another server

Hi!

I was wondering how I can make access modifications for a snapshot so I can have another server use that snapshot.  Ie, take a snapshot of the production data and bring it online on another server.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
dgonzalez59
HPE Blogger
Solution

Hello James,

The best way to accomplish your task is to make use of a snapshot or snapshot collection clone. When you create a clone, you can assign a new ACL to the cloned volume, so it can be mounted to another host.

We have several blog posts about using clones for different workflows. Some recent blogs are in our тАМ series.

Thanks!

Dianne

dajonx135
Advisor

Thank you Dianne!

When cloning, will that use additional space on the SAN?  

On another vendor, I am able to change the access for a snapshot without using additional space on the SAN.  Do you think this could be a future snapshot feature?

dgonzalez59
HPE Blogger

Hello again,

Cloning does not take up any space, as we use redirect on write technology for our "zero-copy clones." Only new writes take up space on the array.

For an example, see the attached image. The "sql-svr3s-back" volume is the original, and the cloned volume is called "sql-svr3s-back-clone."

Notice the clone does not take up extra space.

sql-svr3s-back-sample

Thanks!

Dianne

dajonx135
Advisor

Great!  Thank you!

I am attempting to restore the snapshot on another server right now.  Ran into "hidden" volumes and now I can't attach the database from the snapshot volume collection.  Error message states that it is read-only.  

dgonzalez59
HPE Blogger

James,

You need to clear the read only, hidden, and shadow copy flags from the volume so Windows can access it. Example shown below is using the NWT cmdlet "Set-NimVolume":

Set-NimVolume

PS C:\Users\Administrator> Set-NimVolume -DiskID 3 -Online $true -ReadOnly $false -Hidden $false -ShadowCopy $false

For more information on using clones, please refer to our documentation on Infosight. I recommend you begin with the Windows Integration Guide for the appropriate version of NOS you are using.

Dianne