New Discussion

Alletra 6000 'Group Name'

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike64
Occasional Contributor

Alletra 6000 'Group Name'

Hi,

We have 3 x Alletra 6000 arrays and would like to know the significance of the 'Group Name' when setting these up.

I would presume that we configure the same group name on each but as I have not found much information about this just asking what the group name is used for and if there's any pros or cons to setting this the same on each or differently on each.

There is currently no intention for snapshot replication.

Any help appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Satish04
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Alletra 6000 'Group Name'

Hi Mike64,

The Group name refers to a logical grouping identifier when configuring multiple HPE Alletra 6000 arrays.
You can manage and organize arrays within your storage environment this way.
It is easier to manage and monitor each array if the same group name is used, as it provides a clear link between the arrays.
It is not a significant disadvantage to set different group names on each array if your management requirements demand it.
Most of the time, it comes down to organizational preferences and convenience.
As you have no plans to use snapshot replication, the choice of group names will have no direct effect on how you currently set up your system.

Hope this helps.!

Regards,
Satish

I work for HPE.
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Accept or Kudo

Mike64
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Satish.

Satish04
HPE Pro

You are most welcome.

I work for HPE.
Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

Accept or Kudo

WalterVanHoolst
HPE Pro

Assigning a Group name is something you need to think about before you do it.

When you want to do peer persistence between 2 arrays, you need to put them in the same group, under 2 different storage pools and those 2 arrays need to be of the same type (both Alletra 5030 or both Alletra 6050 etc....)

If you want to do asynchronous replications between 2 or more arrays, you need to put them in DIFFERENT groups as this traffic is between groups and not between storage pools. See admlinistration guide for more guidance

Storage Veteran from Nimble Storage
I work for HPE.
Mike64
Occasional Contributor

Hi Walter,

Good information, thanks for your response.

Does this mean you cannot do peer persistence and snapshot replication on the same two arrays.

Does it also mean you cannot have an Oracle RAC setup (which is 'kind of like' peer persistence) and snapshot replication on the same two arrays?

Kind regards,

Mike

WalterVanHoolst
HPE Pro

Mike,

Your statements are correct. With the Nimble/Alletra 5k,6k arrays you cannot have peer persistence and async replication at the same time within the same 2 arrays.. What we can do is keeping volumes in sync on both arrays and take local snapshots on both arrays of those volumes. It is not 100% the same as taking oné snapshot and sending it over to the other side. No, we take local snapshots at both sides, and that will not be at the exact same moment.!!

However you can have a setup of 2 arrays in peer persistence (in 1 group) and have some other volumes async replicate to a third array sitting in a different group.

Storage Veteran from Nimble Storage
I work for HPE.