4722 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Automate ESX Datastore creation with Nimble PowerShell Module

jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

hmm so i just ran this line

New-NSVolume  -Name "test" -Size 2tb -MultipleInitiator -PerformancePolicy 'VMware ESX 5'

and it ran successfully. when did you install the module? it could possibly be an older release that had a bug in it?

marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

Same line that failed for me. Have you got a pointer for the modules you used.

marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

As per your link Justin

jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

just to be safe, close powershell, delete the Nimble folder in the modules folder (my documents\windowspowershell\modules)

then open up powershell and run this

ex (new-object System.Net.WebClient).DownloadString('https://raw.github.com/jrich523/NimblePowerShell/master/Install.ps1')

also, what version of powershell are you using? nothing comes to mind as to why this wouldnt work in V2, but this is designed around V3

jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

fixed the problem, you'll have to install it again (couple of code changes). you still need to manually supply the quotes, but at least now it works!

marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

I'll give it a go tomorrow. I'm using PowerShell v3 and esxi 5.5

jrich52352
Trusted Contributor

im actually making a few other modifications right now, so you'll want to download it again tomorrow.

marktheblue45
Valued Contributor

Worked a treat. Thanks. Need to learn Powershell basics and some to fully understand some of the snippets on here.

brichardson15
Occasional Advisor

I've tried running that same exact command and I'm receiving an error...

New-NSVolume : Error Creating volume test! code: SMeinval

At line:1 char:1

+ New-NSVolume  -Name "test" -Size 2tb -MultipleInitiator -PerformancePolicy 'VMwa ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Write-Error], WriteErrorException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,New-NSVolume

I'm running PS version 3.0 and I'm running version 1.1.20140407.1024 of the Nimble module.

yolinares27

I am running the latest powershell module from GitHub, running powershell 4.0 and my nimbles are running 2.2.9.0-269169-opt. This is the command im running and the error im getting:

New-NSVolume -PerformancePolicy default -Name "test" -Description "test" -Size 500GB -MultipleInitiator

+ New-NSVolume -PerformancePolicy default -Name "test" -Description "test" -Size 5 ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.WriteErrorException,New-NSVolume

New-NSVolume -PerformancePolicy "VMware ESX 5" -Name "test" -Description "test" -Size 500GB -MultipleInitiator

+ New-NSVolume -PerformancePolicy "VMware ESX 5" -Name "test" -Description "test"  ...