108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Brocade 7450 and Nimble Array

SOLVED
Go to solution
sams42

Brocade 7450 and Nimble Array

Hi,

I am hoping that someone can share their experience what is best optimal brocade config / setup for use with Nimble SAN array. We have 2 7450-48  Brocade switches. Your input is much appreciated.  sample of configs also welcomed .

3 REPLIES 3
druddle110

Re: Brocade 7450 and Nimble Array

Hi Sam

Are you using 1G or 10G connections on the switch ?

Thanks

Dave Ruddle

druddle110
Solution

Hi,

Please find some information on configuring the switch below...

These configuration recommendations assume that the switches are being used predominantly for iSCSI traffic.  If other significant flows are present then the configuration will need to be reviewed specifically.

The steps below assume that stack configuration and/or uplink configuration have been completed appropriately.

Loop mitigation

The use of link aggregation between switches and arrays with multiple connections should be considered to better protect the environment from loop conditions caused by other equipment. 

Flow control and buffer configuration

Active management of traffic flows:

Switch (config)#symmetric-flow-control enable

Optimise buffer allocations on all ports of the switch

Switch (config)#buffer-sharing-full

Note: all flow control configuration MUST also be enabled on all devices connected. Brocade recommends that customers should verify all negotiable parameters, such as flow control, at initial setup and whenever a network element configuration is changed.

Jumbo Frames

All servers/arrays connected to the iSCSI SAN should have jumbo frame support enabled.  This also needs to be enabled on the switch.

Switch (config)#jumbo

Rate Limiting

iSCSI traffic can generate bursts of heavy traffic that can be mistaken as traffic storms.  As such, rate limiting should be off.  This is off by default and should not be enabled.

I hope this helps - is there anything else specific that you wanted to know about ?

Thanks

Dave Ruddle

sams42

Hi Dave ,

I am going to use 1G connection on switch I do have one more question should I have switches stacked ?

Thanks

Sam