6078 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Cisco UCS Smart Stack, Nimble CS300, Hyper-V --> Veeam backup solution

SOLVED
Go to solution
ghartt45

Cisco UCS Smart Stack, Nimble CS300, Hyper-V --> Veeam backup solution

Discussion going on with the VAR at the moment, as far as the "best" way to hook Veeam into the Nimble CS300.

VAR wants the backup solution (A Dell PowerEdge 720 + Dell PowerVault TL2000 running Veeam) to hook into the network and backup Hyper-V "over the network"

looking at this article:

Nimble SAN and Veeam | view topic

I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle to try and directly connect it, thanks in advance for any real-life experience

2 REPLIES 2
Not applicable

Re: Cisco UCS Smart Stack, Nimble CS300, Hyper-V --> Veeam backup solution

With my setup I have a Dell PowerEdge 520, Exagrid EX21000 and Dell PowerVault TL4000 running Veeam 8.  I have a Nimble CS210X2 and a Dell EQL 6000E, the EQL is going away and we are getting a second Nimble, a CS300, in the next month.  My Veeam is hooked up with Direct SAN Access on both the Nimble and EQL and I haven't had any issues.  I'm not running Hyper-V, we are a VMWare shop.  I use to have Veeam backup over the network, but once I switched it to Direct SAN Access it ran a lot better.

I hope this helps out.  Let me know if you have anymore questions.

Valdereth
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: Cisco UCS Smart Stack, Nimble CS300, Hyper-V --> Veeam backup solution

I don't believe Veeam will do Direct SAN access for Hyper-V like it does with vSphere.

If you're referring to direct connecting your VMs to Volumes on the Nimble with something like in-guest iSCSI - that would restrict Veeam's ability to backup the data on the volume.  I'd stick with virtual HDD's protected by Veeam and taking a look at how you can utilize Nimble data protection to improve your RPO/RTO needs.  You'd be surprised how easy it is to setup some simple crash consistent protection plans with Nimble to augment your standard Veeam jobs.