Array Setup and Networking
1748240 Members
3586 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Nimble Storage setup with Oracle on Windows Server?

romatlo32
Advisor

Nimble Storage setup with Oracle on Windows Server?

Hi Folks,

I am being asked to get ready for setting up our current Oracle environment to have directly connected volumes from our Nimble iSCSI SAN and Zero-Copy Clone.  Like this paper.

https://cdm-cdn.nimblestorage.com/2016/12/21081103/tr-nimblestorage-oracle-test-dev-guide.pdf

However, we are currently setup with Windows Server 2012 R2 VMs running Oracle database on these VMs and having to add new additional virtual hard disks when we need to add space as the database grows.  Also we are running RMAN for the testing, copy, etc.

I see there is a paper for general volume setup with Oracle on Linux.

https://cdm-cdn.nimblestorage.com/2016/12/21080843/tr-nimblestorage-Oracle-Setup-Guide.pdf

Is there one for Windows?

4 REPLIES 4
fgrahn80
Advisor

Hi Oneil, we unfortunately do not have any specific Oracle on Windows documents. That being said, I highly recommend looking at the deployment consideration guide for Oracle located here:

Oracle Database Deployment Considerations

We try to cover as many aspects of setting up Oracle regardless of the OS you are trying to use.

Let me know if this helps you out.  If you have any additional questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Freddy

romatlo32
Advisor

Ok thanks. 

It makes me wonder if VMware SRM and Storage vMotion is support with this "direct attached" method?

I need to research...

Thanks again

romatlo32
Advisor

Thanks Freddy,

I've attached a diagram of how I believe it would work.  Does this make sense?

W2K12R2 Oracle VM - Direct iSCSI volume configuration

fgrahn80
Advisor

Hi Oneil!

Sorry was on vacation last week. So based on your diagram, it does look good, but I just want to verify some parts of the diagram. 

I assume the following:

1. You have 4 Guest OS's (eg 4 separate windows machines...2 application hosts and 2 database hosts) all on the same datastore, which is being served by the Nimble array. 

2. For your application servers, you aren't connecting any outside luns...so these are probably just sending requests to the DB servers, correct?  And for the DB servers you are connecting just the two luns each...using direct iscsi. Are you planning on putting data files on one of the luns and redo/archive on the second lun for each of the database servers?