108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: unable to unmount nimble volume in vmware

SOLVED
Go to solution
vmw9
Frequent Advisor

Unable to Unmount Nimble Volume in VMware

I need to unmount a nimble volume in vmware but I keep gettng the error that it is in use

any idea? the volume is not part of a sdrs cluster or its not a heartbeat datastore. I can unmount but cannot deleteCapture.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
vmw9
Frequent Advisor
Solution

found the issue. volume was mounted on another host in another vcenter

pfrisoli27
Valued Contributor

Volume Removal Process for a VMware Datastore

1. Remove all connections from the ESX host to the volume:

a. If running ESXi 5.x, unmount the datastore (if youтАЩre running ESX 4.x, there is no unmount feature, so proceed to step тАЬ6bтАЭ below):

i. Select the host in the vSphere Client, and go to the Configuration / Storage page.

ii. Right-click the unneeded datastore, and select Unmount. Follow the onscreen prompts to unmount the datastore.

b. For both ESX 4.x and 5.x:

i. Select the host in the vSphere Client, and go to the Configuration / Storage Adapters page.

ii. Select the iSCSI Software Adapter and click the Properties link on the right-hand side of the screen.

iii. Go to the Static Discovery tab.

iv. Sort by the Target Name column, and expand the size of the window and column so you can see the entire names of all the volumes.

v. Scroll down until you find the entries that match the volume name. Select all entries (use Ctrl + click to select multiple entries) for the volume, then click Remove.

vi. Answer Yes to confirm removal.

vii. When removal is complete, click Close. You will be prompted to rescan, but answer No тАУ DO NOT RESCAN! Rescanning will just pick up the connections again.

2. Deactivate the volume:

a. In the Nimble GUI, go to Manage / Volumes, then click on the unneeded volume.

b. Click Set Offline, then click OK.

c. (OPTIONAL) Click Delete, then click OK.

3. Perform final rescan on ESX host to clear up any тАЬinactiveтАЭ datastore entries:

a. In the vSphere Client, select the ESX host, and go to the Configuration / Storage Adapters page.

b. Select the iSCSI Software Adapter, right-click on it, and select Rescan.

c. Once the rescan is complete, any тАЬinactiveтАЭ entries for the deleted volume will be removed.

galkun27
Occasional Advisor

Glad to hear you got it sorted out, Tony. 

vmw9
Frequent Advisor

do I have to do this on each individual host that has connection to the volume? can I delete the volume from one host and do automatic rescan?