Re: Upgrade to v2 question

SOLVED
Go to solution
J Benway
Advisor

Upgrade to v2 question

I've read the upgrade to NOS 2 pdf.

I list installing the nimble host software before upgrading to V2

I have 11 ESX host and 1 windows host connected to my existing V1 nimble.

On the windows box I'm not currently using any nimble host software.

Should i install the V2 host software on all my host (ESX and windows) first? will it effect the connection to the V1 nimble box?

thanks,jb

2 REPLIES 2
Nick_Dyer
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Jason.

You can upgrade from 1.4.x to 2.0.7 and not disrupt any of your current host connections you have active to your array. When you upgrade, your array will be in "Manual Networking" mode (see here for my blog post on it) to ensure no connectivity loss. Once on 2.0.7, you can flip it to Automatic Mode at any time, but you should make sure you have Nimble Connection Manager (NCM for short) for Windows and/or VMware installed on your servers before you do so.

A caveat to NCM for VMware is that it requires VMware Enterprise or Enterprise Plus on each host. If you are using something else (ie Essentials, Standard etc) then you should continue to use the VMware scripts for multipath configuration and you can switch over to Automatic Mode (but you must make sure your Discovery IP address is the same as the Virtual Target IP).

We've just released the Windows NCM blogpost yesterday, and an intro to NCM for VMware will be released next Monday on here.

Nick Dyer
twitter: @nick_dyer_
J Benway
Advisor

it was your post that got me going to upgrade to V2.

I was something I wanted to do, but didn't have the time to research what needed to be done.

Thanks, I'll upgrade my DR box today!

jb