New Discussion юеВ

Volume Collections for Nimble Peer Persistence

SOLVED
Go to solution
CadenLange
Regular Advisor

Volume Collections for Nimble Peer Persistence

Hi

Is it necessary to create the synchronous replication volume collections prior to creating the Nimble volumes so they can be added to the VC before any data is written to the volumes?

I've an existing environment with datastores already created and hosting VM's. I want these volumes to be synchronously replicated but have yet to create the Volume Collections for this. Am I ok to create the Volume Collections and add in these volumes whilst the VM's are still resident? I understand that this will lead to an increase in group traffic as these are being replicated but I can sustain that increase ok.

I guess I could create fresh datastore volumes for the Volume Collections and then Storage vMotion the VM's onto these if that's a better approach.

many thanks

C

2 REPLIES 2
mamatadesaiNim
HPE Blogger

Re: Volume Collections for Nimble Peer Persistence

Not sure its necessary, but that's what the docs recommend.  create volume collections first.  then create volumes.

https://infosight.hpe.com/InfoSight/media/cms/active/public/HPE_Nimble_Storage_Peer_Persistence_Deployment_Considerations.pdf

maybe the vcenter plugin allows to create a datastore that has sync replication enabled?  

HPE Nimble Storage
Thomas_Lam_HK
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Volume Collections for Nimble Peer Persistence

Adding volume(s) to Volume Collection later on is allowed regardless on Async or Sync Replication.

Once doing that array will  create replica volume in downstream automatically, and as you mentioned, once volume is added to Sync VC then seeding will be started and replicaion traffic is expected.

Thomas Lam - Global Storage Field CTO

I work for HPEAccept or Kudo