New Discussion юеВ

Can't find/connect to HPE ProCurve Switch 1800-8G

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mahony
Occasional Collector

Can't find/connect to HPE ProCurve Switch 1800-8G

Hi there,

my problem: I can't find/connect to HP ProCurve Switch 1800-8G (access the web interface). Neither in my network, nor if directly connected to the PC via cable. It's fully working.

I did set up the PC (IP) to a 192.168.2.x adress and tried to connect to 192.168.2.10 - I can't even ping it at that adress. Even a Port Scanner isn't able to find it in my network, but despite that it's working properly.

2 REPLIES 2
Emil_G
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Can't find/connect to HP ProCurve Switch 1800-8G

Hello, 

Indeed 192.168.2.10 is the default IP address but it can be changed. Are you sure that no one has changed the IP since the switch was deployed?

This switch should support the LLDP protocol. LLDP is used by network devices to advertise information to neighboring devices. This information includes the management IP address of the switch. 

You can simply connect a PC with wireshark directly to the switch and capture several minutes of packets. The LLDP protocol data units are sent every 30 seconds and can be filtered in wireshark with the filter lldp. Expanding the frame payload should show you the information in clear text.

There are also some tools which can utilize this protocol and display information about the switch, here is one such tool but there may be more

https://polarclouds.co.uk/ldwin-link-discovery-for-windows/

If the switch doesnt send LLDP information or other packets which may give you a hint what is the management IP maybe the only way to regain management access would be to factory reset it. Here is the procedure according to the manual.

Forgotten the IP Address or Password
If you have forgotten the switchтАЩs IP address or administration password you
can return the switch to its factory default state by doing the following:
1. Remove the power cord from the back of the switch.
2. Remove all cables from the front-panel ports.
3. Connect port 1 to port 2 on the front panel using a standard network cable.
4. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the switch.
5. Wait at least 40 seconds before disconnecting port 1 from port 2.
After completing this procedure, there will be no password, the IP address
will be returned to the default 192.168.2.10, and all configuration settings will
be returned to factory defaults.

BTW this switch can perform its main function - the switching even without IP address. The IP is only needed for management, not for data forwarding

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Mahony
Occasional Collector

Re: Can't find/connect to HP ProCurve Switch 1800-8G

3. Connect port 1 to port 2 on the front panel using a standard network cable.
4. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the switch.
5. Wait at least 40 seconds before disconnecting port 1 from port 2. 

Thank you so much, that nailed it! And what was I was looking for (because the factory reset in the manual didn't speak of that).

Now it's accessible at the default IP.