1755406 Members
4263 Online
108832 Solutions
New Discussion

Creating Separate VLAN's with unique Gateways for Voice and Data

MrMister
Occasional Visitor

Creating Separate VLAN's with unique Gateways for Voice and Data

Our company is migrating to new premises and we are going to be utilising our existing hardware to implement phone and network connectivity. In total there are 3 2610-48 switches and also 3 2520-48 switches.

What I would like to do is find out how I can implement IP phones on the network. So I am thinking of using 192.168.1.1-254 on the data VLAN(Lets call it VLAN 100) and then 10.0.0.1-254 on the Voice VLAN(VLAN 101). The only problem I have is that both the VLANS use the same Gateway IP address and I would like VLAN 101 to have the PABX as the gateway so that Voice traffic is routed directly there.

The first 2610 switch will be dedicated to backbone devices, ie: Servers, Printers etc. And the other switches will be used to connect workstations and phones.

Please give me some feedback as to how I can route all traffic on VLAN 100 to an internet gateway, ie 192.168.1.1 and all traffic on VLAN 101 to the PABX 10.0.0.250. Any suggestions/feedback will be greatly appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
mk59

Re: Creating Separate VLAN's with unique Gateways for Voice and Data

When you say they both use the same gateway ip, I assume you mean the same gateway device? They would need gateways in their own network, and those are two different networks. I use DHCP and DHCP relay (iphelper) to provide ip address and gateway depending on the vlan the port is assigned to.