1754340 Members
4948 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Help with setting up second floor switch and accross multiple Vlan's

airwolf09
Advisor

Help with setting up second floor switch and accross multiple Vlan's

I currently have 1 facility and currently using 5412zl+poe. The switch have 10 vlans and routeable with the following vlans below. Default vlan 1 is not used.

10.0.0.0/24 = vlan 10 production

10.0.1.0/24 = vlan 11 management

10.0.2.0/24 = vlan 12 developement

10.0.3.0/24 = vlan 13 second floor

10.0.4.0/24 = vlan 14  wireless

10.0.5.0/24 = vlan 15 VOIP

10.0.6.0/24 = vlan 16

Switch 5412zl is set to 10.0.0.1. 10.0.x.1 which also act as a gateway for client on all vlan. All vlans run on the first floor and same network.  Currently the all vlans and VOIP networks are distributed on the first floor.  All vlans is route by E5412zl (10.0.0.1) and if anything outside of those vlans will then sent to 10.0.0.254 which is the firewall.

The company is expanding and we’re taking over the second floor. So both floors will be connected via fiber. I've attached a drawing to help show this.

We’re going to put the E5406ZL with 4-port 10GBE SFP module on the second floor to connect with the existing E5412ZL with 4-port 10GBE SFP module via 2 fiber strands.

Where I want to eventually end up is to have both switches trunking over 2 strand of fibers. Second floor can communicate and able to reach all vlans on first floor and vice versa. VOIP and wireless networks on second floor.

I want Vlan 3 to be the primary vlan for second floor as all PCs on second floor will have ip address of 10.0.3.x sub 255.255.255.0 Gw 10.0.3.1

I’m not sure how to span multiple VLANs across multiple switches and what ip should I assign the second floor switch E5406ZL so that I can manage that switch, etc... Help please.

8 REPLIES 8
cenk sasmaztin
Honored Contributor

please send me sh run print both switch

cenk

SimonHinge
Occasional Collector

Hi

what you could do is:

config all vlans on second switch, tag the vlans on the fiber link at both end.

Set the switch ip to a free address in production (really you should have a vlan setout
for network infrastructure management interfaces i.e (vlan 20 10.0.10.0/24)) also
change the management vlan to 10.

Don't config routing on the second switch as the first switch will do the routing
(if you did what both to be able to route you will need to config VRRP)

set the ports on the second switch to be untagged on vlan 13 and tagged on all other vlans (or only ones needed).

you then should be able to ping GW from pc in the 13 vlan.

Thanks

airwolf09
Advisor

Cenk the second switch is on order right now. however I will send you the print out of the first switch once i get in the office.

Simon i do have the management interface vlan which is the (vlan 11 10.0.1.0/24)

how do I change the management vlan to 10 an configure the management interface?

question for both of you beside the original issue :smileyhappy:

is there a way to configure the switch for vlan awareness so that it learns the the vlan itself? like the second switch learn the vlan from  the first switch.

airwolf09
Advisor

I believe there is something call GVRP. But I don't know how it works.

airwolf09
Advisor

ok, here is the sh run from my 5412zl first floor switch. the fiber module for the 5412zl yet or the 5406zl have not arrive yet (expect to have within a week). They're on it way to me now. I want to do the run down first then when I get the switchi know exactly what i need to do.

SimonHinge
Occasional Collector

Hi

Here are some of the config you will need to do on second switch:

***start***

IP default-gateway 10.0.1.1

management-vlan 11 
vlan 1  

name "DEFAULT_VLAN"  

forbid A1-A24,B1-B24,C1-C24,D1-D24,E1-E24,F1-F24,G1-G24,H1-H24,I1-I24 

exit
vlan 10 

name "production"  

exit
vlan 11
name "management"

IP address 10.0.1.x 255.255.255.0  

exit
vlan 12 

name "development" 

exit
vlan 13

name "second floor"  

exit
vlan 14 

name "wireless"  

exit
vlan 15 

name "VOIP" 

exit
***end***

you will need to add the port setting depending upon what the ports are being used for, but the uplink will need to be tagged on all vlans. With the switch configured like this it will only respond to management (SSH,web,telnet) on the IP address in vlan 11 but the first switch (acting as a router) will route other vlans to this interface.

I understand the principle of GRVP I have not used it in production, I prefer the old fashioned way to Manually control the network vlans.

Simon

airwolf09
Advisor

Simon.

your code above "IP default-gateway 10.0.1.1"

is that the management interface for the 5406zl (second floor)?

as that already defined in the 512zl as vlan 11 gateway for subnet 10.0.1.0/24

SimonHinge
Occasional Collector

No the command enables the switch to communicate with ip's in the other vlans via the router (512zl) .

The IP address on the second switch will be the IP configured inside the 11 vlan with the command

"IP address 10.0.1.x 255.255.255.0"

you will need to replace x with a free address in that lan.

Simon