3936 Online
108832 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 3800 Switch Stack 100% memory usage

Oli_H
Visitor

HP 3800 Switch Stack 100% memory usage

Hi,

I'm looking for some help or pointers. We're running 4 x HP 3800 48G PoE+-4SFP+ Switch(J9574A) in a ring topology and have been for nearly 6 months. Since 5 days ago the memory utilization has been completely maxed out at 100% and I'm unable to see why.

We are running spanning tree on the stack and throughout the network it is connected and previously running sflow testing that which the trial ended and i have now disabled that from running in the config. Google searches have proved fruitless in finding a command which displays what exactly the memory is doing and what is using it. We aren't currently running the most up to date firmware but this will be getting updated this weekend to see is this eleviates the problem. I am looking for any tips/ pointers/ commands that may help in the diagnosis of the memory being 100% utilized.

Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

Are you using loop-protection in addition to spanning tree on these switches?

When you say ring topology, how is that implemented?

Oli_H
Visitor

I dont think loop protection is something we are running inconjunction with spanning tree, how would i enable this? Also our stp config hasnt been applied with a root bridge which i suggested some time ago and due to a recent network test we had done it was suggested and as this is our core switch i will configure it to be the root bridge.

The ring topology is implemented via a stacking module in each switch connected in the ring topology. I will attach a picture of the topology taken from the web gui.

TerjeAFK
Respected Contributor

We have enabled both spanning tree and loop protection on all our switches. Loop protection is enabled by the "loop-protect 1-xx" command. My understanding is that spanning tree will protect you against loops between managed switches, but if someone connects a dumb switch that does not send out BPDU packets then spanning tree will not help you and you need loop protection.