Aruba & ProVision-based
1758401 Members
2782 Online
108869 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Latest Firmware Build For J9851A (5412Rz12) that allows "allow-unsupported-transc

SOLVED
Go to solution
DelJeff
Visitor

Latest Firmware Build For J9851A (5412Rz12) that allows "allow-unsupported-transceivers"

Afternoon,  

Im looking to upgrade my 5412Rz12 but I want to enable the use of 3rd party transceivers. I know that 16+ firmware revision is supposed to allow this, but I've also heard that versions after that do not. Before I start this upgrade process I want to have the correct firmware and there doesn't seem to be a lot of information posted on it. Does anyone have a definative answer on what the latest version that allows this feature is?

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
akg7
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Latest Firmware Build For J9851A (5412Rz12) that allows "allow-unsupported-transc

Hello @DelJeff ,

The latest version is KB.16.10.0016.

What is the current running software version: 'show version'

HPEcannot assure support of thrid party transceivers.

Which transceiver you are using and can you share the product number?

Below is hte link to download firmware:

https://h10145.www1.hpe.com/downloads/SoftwareReleases.aspx?ProductNumber=J9822A

Below link is the quickspecs guide for the switch:

https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04293383

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

As mentioned J9851A,

1. Please find firmware link, the latest 

KB.16.10.0016 03-Aug-2021 10-Aug-2021

My Networking | HPE® Official Site

2.  3rd Party transceiver before added check the transceiver compatibility matrix

3.  Which 3rd party transceiver, you want to connect?

Does anyone have a definative answer on what the latest version that allows this feature is?

Still I do not see this type of the feature after firmware upgrade, 3rd Party transceiver works.

For more information, based on Aruba.

https://www.arubanetworks.com/assets/support/FAQ_Unsupported-Transceiver-Mode-CX.pdf

I Haq
DelJeff
Visitor

First, thank you both for the prompt response. In particular Im looking to use these:

• 10Gtek DAC "CAB-10GSFP-P3M"
  • 10Gtek ASF-10G-T

This brings up an interesting point however. I understand that HP cannot assure any support on the actual SFP's but it doesn't invalidate the  warranty on my switch if I do use 3rd party SFPs correct?

Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

• 10Gtek DAC "CAB-10GSFP-P3M"
  • 10Gtek ASF-10G-T

I am not assured, its work.

Yes if its in warranty HPE always provides the best support.

Last 10 years we use the HPE products and customer support superb.

HPE also provide lifetime warranty transceiver why you not go with HPE transceiver.

Please once check this transceivers.

1. J9150A OR J9150D

2. J9151A OR J9151D

3. J9152A OR J9152D 

I Haq
akg7
HPE Pro

Hello DelJeff,

Yes its correct, it doesn't invalidate the warranty on the switch if you do use 3rd party SFPs.
But HPE always recommends to use the HPE branded parts to avoid any unwanted interruption.

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo