1755553 Members
3655 Online
108835 Solutions
New Discussion

Needing to reprogram Procurve Switch?

kcnostromo
Visitor

Needing to reprogram Procurve Switch?

I have replaced my previous HP Curve Switch because of a lightening strike.  I was able to use an HP Switch from another location because of our move from there. The current switch I  have is the hp procurve switch 2626-PWR J8164A.

I reset the switch, hung it on our company wall, then used putty to access the menu.  I thought all I needed to do was plug the cords from the previous devices into the switch (since it automatically found our network's IP address). However, a couple of our VoIP phones are still down even after I've plugged the cords into the same ports as the previous switch.

What am I missing to get the phones up?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: Needing to reprogram Procurve Switch?

What was the old switch that you replaced?

Do you have a saved config off it?

What is the new switch's config?

How many phones do you have on it? What power class are they?

What does a "show power-over-ethernet" give you for "remaining power" & "total power"?

kcnostromo
Visitor

Vince,

Thanks for taking my question and excuse me if I need to do a better job at providing more information. I'm new to switches and even newer to the forums. We had a network guy for our company but he is no longer with us. I'm just attempting to fix this issue after the lightening strike/power surge took down every piece of equipment on our network (just the networking equipment, mind you). Regardless, I know how to get into a router and get all the information from there. I know how to get into the ProCurve switch, but I don't know many commands. Lastly, this is my first time trying to create a vlan (I'm assuming this is what I'm trying to do). The way our network is set up, there is a router (port 24), 2 VoIP phones (port 25), the ISP router (port 26) and a copier (port 8) going into those ports in the HP ProCurve Switch. I've got the IPs for each of these devices.

To answer your questions:

(1)  The old switch I replaced was the HP ProCurve 2620-24 J9623A

(2)  Unfortunately, I do not have a saved config. However, I think I have all the information I may need to reconfigure it.

(3)  I have two phones set up on it. They are NEC DSX VoIP phones. Each phone uses about 90kb.

(4)  After I found the command(s), I saw this info:

a) Maximum Power: 406w; Power in Use: 0 w +/- 6w; Operational Status: On; Usage Threshold (%): 80

b) IP Config [DHCP/Bootp]: DHCP/Bootp; IP Address: 192.168.1.101; Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

I hope this answers your question. I work for a small non-profit so anything I can do that you can help me with would be an enormous help. Again, I'm just trying to get our phones (and a few other pieces of equipment attached to the switch) working again. 

Thank you again.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Check the router and the ISP router to see what VLAN (802.1q) configuration they have on their interfaces that connect to the switch.

You need to configure the switchports that connect to them to have the same VLAN/802.1q config.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

My initial impression was that your phones were working except for some that weren't.

Is it the case that none of the phones on the switch are working?

If this is the case, then you will probably need to do a detailed network diagram so you can figure out what the switch config needs to look like.

Start with all the IP addresses you know about.

List all the IP addresses, by subnet, and note the default GW configured for each device.

Now, find this default GW address (on the routers, presumably) and note where it is.

Then, on your diagram, mark down what the VLAN/802.1q config is on the router interfaces and on the phones (if any).

For different subnets to talk to each other, they will need to go via a router (the IP address on the switch is most likely not used for anything except your management of it).

Any VLAN that is confiugured as "tagged" on a router interface will need to be configured as "tagged" on the corresponding switch interface.

kcnostromo
Visitor

Hi Vince,

I really struggled with your last note. I spent a few hours trying to make sense of it, and now I'm sure there's either something I'm not saying or something you're not seeing.

You are correct. There are two phone on the switch and neither of them are working (as is nothing else connected to the switch). The ports that the cables are connected to continue to blink regularly so I know they're receiving some kind of signal.

As you recommended, I began w ith all the IPs that I knew about. There aren't many that are connected to the switch. I believe 4 lines in all (the copier, ISP router, Linksys router, VoIP phones). I wrote down each of their IPs and noted each default GW address (is it possible for each GW address to be the same?).

I looked in my linksys router interface and could not find any vlan this is configured as 'tagged' to correspond with the switch interface. This made me think to ask the question, are you talking about our ISP router (Windstream is our ISP) or our inhouse linksys router. I can only access the linksys router.

The current switch that works used to connect to another switch off of our campus. The location closed and no longer exists. The switch I'm using came from that location. I'm sure I reset the switch to remove the prior setting. Here's the point: I'm thinking you're thinking the switch is being used to connect to another switch. It is not. I think it's using just one vlan (vlan1?) and I'm thinking I need to know how to hook up my devices to that vlan. Or does vlan1 need to be created? At this point, I'm really confused on what I need to do. Any additional questions you ask I'll be happy to answer (or find an answer to) to find out what I need to do.

Thank you. For any help you can provide.

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

There's probably not much more generic suggestions I can provide.

Detailed advice would require your network diagram, device configs, and IP addressing information. (A good network diagram can include all the relevant information on it).

If your phones are the only things not working, then concentrate on them - what are their IP addresses? Where is their default GW address configured in the network? Is this in the same subnet as your other devices?

kcnostromo
Visitor

Thank you immensely for you help. I'll do my best to create a network diagram. I'm not sure how long it will take to create one, but once I have, how would you like to look at it? As an attachment here or is there a better way?

Thanks.