3076 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Only 2 ports out of 3 are being used for traffic in LACP

vpaus
Occasional Contributor

Only 2 ports out of 3 are being used for traffic in LACP

HI,

I have LACP setup between a 3500 series and a 2000 series switch; even though I am using 3 ports in LACP, when i run the show interface port command i can see data traffic only flowing through 2 of my ports. Even in that it is showing me that 1 port is used at 100% of its capacity while the second one is used at 75% of its capacity and third one is only using 0.5% of avialable bandwidth

I am thinking maybe i might have to turn off MSTP instance between the LACP link but i am not sure how to carry it out or whether it would work or not, any advice ?

4 REPLIES 4
vpaus
Occasional Contributor

Re: Only 2 ports out of 3 are being used for traffic in LACP

I changed the trunk load balancing behaviour from default (L3-based) to L4-Based. It has made some difference but still 1 port is being over utilised.

port 1 - 93%

port2 - 27%

port 3 - 53%

drk787
HPE Pro

@vpaus Hi, Yes changing the load balancing method is a good option. Please refer the below URL which explains as how the traffic is distribued across trunk links.

https://techhub.hpe.com/eginfolib/networking/docs/switches/WB/15-18/5998-8162_wb_2920_mcg/content/index.html 

Thank You!
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Hi, it's pretty normal to experience some egressing traffic "polarization" against a particular physical port (of an aggregated link = your Port Trunk logical interface): distribution depends not only by the Load Balancing algorithm used but also it depends on the source/destination traffic type (L4 helps better than L3 to distributed across Port Trunk's member ports...but still...the less variance on src/dst you have - in terms of IP/Ports/Protocol - the worst the distribution is...at a point that one or more ports can be hitten more than others.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
vpaus
Occasional Contributor

For multicast traffic to transverse through the trunk link are there any specific commands that i should be using on the trunk links.