Aruba & ProVision-based
1755167 Members
3142 Online
108830 Solutions
New Discussion

Switch Management on Procurve 5400s with VLANs

vedled

Switch Management on Procurve 5400s with VLANs

Hi all.  Need some help with a switch management issue in relation to access to the web management console of our switches.  We have a VLAN setup with 9 VLANs and that is all working fine.  However, we can only remotely access the web interface of our core switch via the Gateway address of the network management VLAN.  I have IP addresses set up on the remote switches in that VLAN but i can only ping those addresses if the workstation is on that VLAN as well.  Outside of that VLAN, cannot ping the management IPs.  Now, i have these IP addresses set up as an IP address in the VLAN config, not the Management IP config for the switch itself.  I was unable to ping these addresses from anywhere using the Management IP config.  I'm thinking that i need to somehow tell the switch what VLAN the Management IP should be on and assign an IP as the management IP but i don't know how to set the management VLAN for each switch.  Any assistance would be appreciated...Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
esvcv

Re: Switch Management on Procurve 5400s with VLANs

Hi,

You can actually access the Web Management (or CLI) of the 5400s on any VLAN with an IP Address.

I suspect the reason you're currently only able to access it when in the same VLAN might be due to the default gateway of the switch.  If there's no default gateway set for the subnet you're trying to reach it on then it can't route anything back to you.

Hope that helps,

Matt