1755609 Members
3449 Online
108836 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

100% CPU Usage for No Reason

tehSiX
Occasional Advisor

100% CPU Usage for No Reason

Just today my computer (Windows XP) has been running at 100% keeping me from using it for anything but basic (and extremely slow anyway) internet use.

According to the Task Manager explorer.exe is eating up 90-98% of the cpu with mcmnhdlr.exe and mhtml.exe eating up the other remaining CPU. This just started today with no modifications made to the system in any way.I have virus scanned and shut-down and restarted the computer many times and nothing is found and nothing is fixed. The CPU is running at 100% from the minute of startup.

Can anyone possibly help?

Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
Ronald Postma
Honored Contributor

Re: 100% CPU Usage for No Reason

Hi tehSiX
THe only "mcmnhdlr.exe" I know belongs to the Mcafee virusscanner. I do not know if you have that one installed, if not there is probebly spyware or malware installed on your computer.

If you do have Mcafee it is rather busy all the time, what can also indicate spyware or a virus that current DAT-files can not detect.
Also Mcafee can be corrupt and uninstalling it, followed by a reinstall can solve the problem.

Try to locate the mhtml.exe file on your HD, I wonder where it is, big change it is in the C\windows\system or c:\windows\system32 (windows can also be WINNT)

Did you do a spywarescan? may you can try to download Hitman PRO, you can use is for free for a while:
http://members.home.nl/mloman/hitmanpro233.exe

This software will download en install demoversions of anti-spyware programs tat are free to use for a month I believe. If you purchase a license for the products it installs it can keep using that specific program.

This should get you started, have a nice day,
HTH,Ronald

The logic of Microsoft: "Press START to shut down the pc"
Rich S
Honored Contributor

Re: 100% CPU Usage for No Reason

Yes one is Mcafee scanning (mcmnhdlr.exe) and the only thing I could find on the other is a Microsoft program.

You are not disabling the Mcafee scanner. You wouyld have to do so in the task manager.

Either scan your PC to update Mcafee or unload it completely and try another AV program.

You can find almost all the programs you see in the task manager running, explained at:

http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

You can keep certain programs from running within :

START > RUN > MSCONFIG

Rich

Say thanks with POINTS