New Discussion юеВ

SQL admin

SOLVED
Go to solution
Chris Bedford
Regular Advisor

SQL admin

Hi gurus

I have inherited a SBS 2003 SQL server and its app which for political reasons are no longer suported by the developer / sysadmin (sound familiar?). Anyhow, trying to figure out the backup schedules I discovered no less than three jobs which are all scheduled to run regularly, some 5 days a week and some 7. I managed to delete a fourth that was failing every time because the backup destination no longer existed.

Thing is, I can't modify, disable, or delete these remaining 3 jobs because "error 14274: cannot add, update, or delete a job (or its steps or schedules) that originated from an MSX server". The only MS resource I came up with is kb article 281642 [http://support.microsoft.com/kb/281642/en-us] referring to a server name change.

Now the server *has* had its name changed but changing it back in order to remove these jobs is going to be a bit of a challenge... actually a huge challenge. Also this article claims to be applicable only to SQL server 2000 - on this machine the version no that comes up is 8.0.760 (SP3) - is "version 8" the same as "SQL Server 2000"? Anyone know of any other way around deleting these redundant jobs?

Appreciate any input here...! Thanks :-)
2 REPLIES 2
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: SQL admin

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/sjones/killthattarget.asp

"....The article does mention that sysjobs.originating_server is place where the data is stored. Simple enough for me. Open the msdb database in Enterprise Manager, click "tables", right click the sysjobs table and select Open, return all rows.

And there is the old server name. I edit each row and change the name to the new server name and close the table. A double check and I can now edit the maintenance plans and alter the jobs. "
Chris Bedford
Regular Advisor

Re: SQL admin

Thanks Igor! Perfect resolution... slightly late response! (from me)