New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL 870c i2 I/O firmware update

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

BL 870c i2 I/O firmware update

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask whether anyone knows how to update I/O firmware on a BL870c i2 when there is no operating system installed. I have received two of these blades with clean internal disks (no EFI partitioning is in place yet). I have only found an I/O package that has to be copied onto an EFI partition with HPUX commands and then executed.

I need to get the P410i firmware to 3.26 in order to use RAID on internal disks and want to know whether I need to install HPUX first or whether there is a workaround.

Many thanks,
J.
9 REPLIES 9
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You can run EFI applications directly from an USB thumb drive, DVD or virtual media.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Thanks Torsten. Does it mean that EFI can read a flash drive which contains a NTFS filesystem ?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

No, must be FAT(32).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

So, just to make sure - the procedure would be to download the package, unzip, untar and place the files on a FAT32 formatted USB drive. Then I'll mount it either locally or via the virtual USB feature and execute the update_IOFW.nsh. Is this correct ?
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Yes, put it on the thumb drive, do a "reconnect -r" and "map -r" and change to the USB filesystem, e.g.

> fs0:

then run the file (as suggested in the notes!)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

Robert Cook_6
Frequent Advisor

You are probably already at 3.26 For some reason when you do a drivers command the Smart Array SAS Driver says V3.18 but it is firmware version 3.26. You need the latest version of saupdate to change the mode from "HBA" to "RAID".

Download the Offline Diagnostic cd from
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=3902574&swItem=ns-87076-1&mode=4&idx=0

Burn it to a cd. From the ilo3 on the bl860c i2 do a virtual media mount. The cd needs to be in the pc you are on. Open the console for the blade. Do an S for shell. You should see the cd as fs0: . From

fs0:\efi\hp\tools\io_cards\smartarray

run saupdate and do a SET_MODE to raid. THe command should be

saupdate set_mode 0:2:0:0 raid -f

If there was any data on the disks this will destroy it.
Reset the blade. You can now configure raid on the P410i.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthor C Clark
Sivaramakrishna_1
Honored Contributor

You can also use HP Smart update manager application to upgrade the firmware on BL 8x0c i2 servers. You can put it in any windows xp/2003 machine and add the MP IP and credentials it will do the firmware upgrade easily.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=MTX-f0c3db3ffd9b4f9691895d4dc8&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=4186432
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Hello guys,

unfortunately none of your suggestions are correct. All virtual media has to be disconnected when running the update bundle and HP SUM cannot be used to update I/O firmware. The P410i was in HBA mode and a logical volumne could not be configured via drvcfg command unless I updated the firmware the way Torsten suggested and changed the mode to RAID. Now everything works as expected.
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Worked as per advice