1752513 Members
4987 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL460c becomes unfunctional after running Firmware 7.91 CD

Scott_192
Occasional Advisor

BL460c becomes unfunctional after running Firmware 7.91 CD

We have recently purchased 2 c7000 enclosures with 16 BL460c's(2 dualcores)in each one. They have been imaged an running OK in our test environment. I downloaded the Firmware 7.91 CD and ran it on 1 BL460c through iLO. The default selection was made and the system, iLO, drive, etc., were successfully flashed. After the cold boot, the system will no longer boot into Windows2003. It will get the the first splash screen and simply reboot itself.
I tried to remount the 7.91 CD and it will get as far as step 4 in the discovery process and crash. The same with the HP Smart Start CD. If I run the RBSU and use the old ROM I can get the server to boot and I am able to regain functionality.
Has ANYONE else seen or is experiencing this issue?
4 REPLIES 4
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: BL460c becomes unfunctional after running Firmware 7.91 CD

Hello Scott,

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1180505
Pretty much the same kind. Note that the user is also running on the latest firmware version included in Firmware maintenance CD 7.91

Weird but could you check the Processors ??

Regards.
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Is something strange shown in the onboard administrator? And what is the OA firmware?
Scott_192
Occasional Advisor

*UPDATE*

I switched the processors from slot0 to 1 and slot 1 to 0 and the system will boot. The processors are exaclty the same Intel Dual-Core Xeons @ 2.66MHz with 4M cache. The Intel code on the top of the processors are bit different but they should not be different in speed. I want to know if in the BIOS I15(8/21/2007) if they placed some sort-of speed checker for the dual-core and the placement of them in the sockets.
I would like HP to make an "advisory" on this if it is become more apperant, or update the ROM flash...
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

A part from the speed and cache size, processors can be different on the stepping. The rule has been always that the processor with the lower stepping (the older one) must go in the socket 0.
Besides, there's another thread in this forum were a customer had problems with quad-core processors and latest BIOS. With the previous BIOS version, they work OK.