BladeSystem - General
1753531 Members
5380 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL460c G7 Need help configuring memory.

Benny Buice
Occasional Contributor

BL460c G7 Need help configuring memory.

I am completely stumped trying to get a couple of 460c G7's configured.

The blades were purchased with 6 2GB DIMM's part # 500202-061. 2GB 2Rx8 PC3-10600R.

Our vendor sold us 4GB sticks of the same flavor to flesh them out to 32GB. By the way, another guy at work had his hands on these before me and took all the RAM out so I don't even know what slots the 2GB dimms were in to start with.

These Blades hace 2 6-core processors.

Can anyone tell me how to get 32GB of RAM either with all 4GB sticks or a mixture of 2GB's and 4GB'S

I am completely stumped. Feel free to e-mail me direct if you would like. bbuice@sgrlaw.com

Thanks very much for assistance.
Benny.
5 REPLIES 5
BrianDoyle
Trusted Contributor

Hi Benny,

The BL460c G7 has 12 DIMM slots and you have a 2nd socket. So spread the amount of RAM you have evenly over both channels.
There is a memory population order.

Check out this User Guide for details from Pg26 onwards.
http://www.pdspc.com/digitalcontent/USER_MANUAL/72300f03-9973-4bd8-925d-1931dbc22335.pdf

Might want to double check the memory DIMMs you purchased are compatible with your server first.
Benny Buice
Occasional Contributor

I did read the install guide but it just doesn't make sense to me. If i put 4 4GB dimms in in Channels 1&2 for processor 1 it will boot and see the memory. If I put dims in channel 3 it does not see those. If I put dimms in any of the channels for processor 2 it will either fault with a red light when you turn it on or if it powers up it will give errors about the slots for processor 2. It would be nice if there was a decent illustration somewhere.

Thanks for the reply.

Benny
Cederberg
Honored Contributor

If you have 8 4GB DIMM's you should populate

A (slot2)
B (slot4)
C (slot6)
D (slot1)

On both processors for 32 GB
Michael Leu
Honored Contributor

Benny Buice
Occasional Contributor

Thanks everyone. I spent about four hours last Friday talking with HP tech support. We figured out the appropriate way to populate the slots. But, we figured out that if we put any memory at all in the 2nd processor's slots the machine will not boot. They are sendins a motherboard for the server. I will update this so evryone will know if that resolved the issue.

One thing to note, the tech support rep found a tech bulleting that said any BIOS cated in October, 2010 had memory addressing issues. We updated to the latest version but it didn't help.

Benny