BladeSystem - General
1748177 Members
4336 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL495c G5 unable to PXE boot - PXE-E11: ARP timeout

NiallS

Thanks for the suggestions everybody. I haven't, as yet, had time to test firmware version 2.30 as we are currently using the directly connected work around. I hope to do so in the next week or so.
TheDude_1

Anyone heard an update to this one? We're experiencing it connecting through Cisco nexus 5k switches as well. We were able to get it working by setting the upstream links to native vlans that had appropriate dhcp scopes configured.

Our next step will be to setup packet capture to see where the response is getting dropped (or received??)

The hardware we're testing on are BL460_G6 using a c7000 chassis. All hosts (iLO's, and BIOS') up to date as well as the OA's and flex-10 VC's (2.60/2.30 respectively).

Could be a PXE bug with that adaptor? I'll post back if I find anything interesting on packet capture.

Additionally we'll open a case and reference this thread.
Gareth Lloyd
Advisor

I raised a call for the same issue a few weeks ago and am still waiting for a fix. A firmware update was promised, not sure when it will come out.

The only workaround available is to move the blade to the same (build) vlan as the PXE server to build the server. After build you can move the server to the correct production vlan.

If you want to rebuild the server, you've got to move it back to the build vlan which is a bit of a pain.

Haven't noticed any issues after moving the server to the production vlan though. It just seems to be PXE boot which is affected.

Looks like a pxe bug in the adaptor.
Gareth Lloyd
Advisor

Great, that takes care of the BL460 G6. Now just the BL495 G5's to go.

How are we supposed to find out about fixes for issues?

I don't like finding out by chance when I have raised support calls and have been told to wait for a fix.
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

HP Support should be able to provide you accurate information. You can also receive support alerts (such as Customer Advisories), as well as updates on drivers, software, firmware, etc.

https://h30046.www3.hp.com/subchoice/country/us/en/subscribe.aspx?subs=DRIVERSIGNUP&jumpid=em_sc-gen/us/jul07/all/xbu/signup/mrm/mcc/loc/xbu/go-myadvisory
TheDude_1

I did want to follow up w/ this and say that the BIOS patch did fix the 460G6's we have. If I had a 495 to test with I would have but since they use a common nic I'd expect it will fix it. The BIOS for the embedded flex10's went from 4.5.x to 5.x.x. Major update seemed to be required.

Anyway -- life is better now. Thanks for the responses.
dospavlos
Frequent Advisor

Anyone have the link to this fix? URLs in thread don't work.
Gareth Lloyd
Advisor

The latest BIOS update will fix the issue on any 10GB NIC server.

This is the link for the BL460 G6 Drivers and Software Updates:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=uk&prodNameId=3884099&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=3884098&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005#12212

Install one of the BIOS firmware updates under BIOS - System ROM or download and run the SmartUpdate Firmware DVD under Firmware - CD-ROM.