BladeSystem - General
1748204 Members
4285 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

BL495c G5 unable to PXE boot - PXE-E11: ARP timeout

NiallS

BL495c G5 unable to PXE boot - PXE-E11: ARP timeout

I have dropped a set of BL495c G5 servers into my pre-existing working RDP setup only to find that they won't boot to PXE. The PXE NIC agent starts and acquires an IP address via DHCP but then falls over with error "PXE-E11: ARP timeout". Does anybody have any idea what could be going wrong?

The NIC PXE agent, DHCP server and RDP servers are all on different subnets. Routing between then is handled by a cisco router using the helper address feature to handle the DHCP and PXE forwarding. The servers on board broadcom NICs are used with PXE agent version UNDI PXE-2.1 v4.5.20. These are hooked up to a flex-10 switch with a very simple configuration.

Finally, if I move the PXE NIC agent to the same subnet as the RDP server all is well.
18 REPLIES 18
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Re: BL495c G5 unable to PXE boot - PXE-E11: ARP timeout

NiallS.

Have you seen the answers in the RDP Knowledge Base (scroll down a page)
http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/rdp/knowledgebase/00000138.html?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
Its probably something to do with scope option 60

PS: there is a separate RDP forum
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=299
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

Do you have VC Flex10 Modules?
NiallS

Adrian: I will double check the DHCP option 60 configuration but I am pretty sure it is OK. In any case it works fine with my bl25p and bl460c just not any bl495c.

Lmm: Yes I am using flex10 switches. It is a basic setup where the server profile puts port LOM:1-a in the required vLAN (untagged). External ports are trunked with the "Auto" setting to a ProCurve 5412 and the vlan presented to the servers is carried (along with others) as tagged traffic between the flex-10 and ProCurve. Outside of this PXE problem this has served flawlessly for all other network traffic.

I have noticed one difference in the output of the PXE NIX agent between working and non-working hardware types. We use a pair cisco routers with HSRP to forward packets between the various subnets (vLANs). For working PXE NIC agents it reports the floating and physical addresses as gateway IP. In the bl495c case the one of the physical addresses is missing.
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

NiallS,
I├В┬┤ve seen this issue before, only when using Flex10 NICs, VC Flex10 Module and relay agent. As far as I know the the only available workaround will be using the target server and DHCP server on the same VLAN. There should be a fix coming soon from HP.
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

I meant using the Target and PXE server on the same VLAN as workaround.
Gareth Lloyd
Advisor

I have had the same issue with BL495 G5 and BL460 G6 blades with 10GB Nics in c7000 enclosures with Flex10 VC switches.

I have been told to upgrade the firmware of all my VC switches to v2.30 to fix the issue.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=3709945&prodSeriesId=3794423&swItem=MTX-6279f8b6261b4b938b7b7b41a7&prodNameId=3794431&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=13&taskId=135&mode=4&idx=3

Stefan Muegeli

In my case HP told me that they still working on a new Firmware-Update.

@Gareth Lloyd
Did the FW-Upgrade 2.30 of the FC solve your problem. It didn't helped in my case.

Still using workaround at the moment.
Stefan Muegeli

Sorry typo...

@Gareth Lloyd
Did the FW-Upgrade 2.30 of the VC solve your problem. It didn't helped in my case.
Gareth Lloyd
Advisor

No, I didn't bother to upgrade to v2.30 in the end as HP changed their mind and said the issue was still under investigation.