108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: BL870c

SOLVED
Go to solution
subashbl870
Regular Advisor

BL870c

We have Blade server 870c it has 16GB RAM. it's working fine . i have doubt about memory usage .
our Database SQL server 2005. our database working time ram usage is very very big like 15.7GB renaming 300mb is only free . is it normal or can i upgrade memory
5 REPLIES 5
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi,

database server will always use the maximum resources that are available or set for him,
most of DB servers using also CPU, so before you start to upgrade memory, you should monitor, CPU / mem / IO (disk) operation to identify, what is the major reason why your system is slowing down or have some bootleneck, but in my opinion if you don't extremly paging to the disk, the amount of the memory could be stay.

mikap
subashbl870
Regular Advisor

thanks for replay me .
our Cup usage very low like 30% only but memory usage 98% .i had verified Task manager
physical memory usage 98% . process
SQL server.exe 98% . what can i do . and also now we are doing DR replication both side can i updrade anythings .
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

ok,

but you should consider, if your system is memmory deend or CPU power because its depend on the spped of memmory and memory module organization.

check this as reference :

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/servers/options/tool/hp_memtool.html

but if you like to be sure that if you upgrade the memory the performance of the memory will not go down and of cource CPU poer, them you should contact some HP technical presales, because its different to have 4x8 GB module instead of 12x2GB or 6x4GB ....

mikap
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Hi,
As Mikap said SQL use all available memory, therefore on SQL servers I usually limit SQL to 80 % of available RAM (i.e. if we have 16 GB RAM I limit SQL to 12.8 GB)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321363

>>is it normal or can i upgrade memory
If you don't see performance problem - don't upgrade RAM. Even if you will upgrade to 32 GB - SQL will use all 32 GB if you not define "max server memory" option
rick jones
Honored Contributor

So long as the low CPU utilization percentage is not a symptom of paging/swapping, or waiting for database I/O that might otherwise have been cached, you should be OK.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows