1756735 Members
2764 Online
108852 Solutions
New Discussion

C7000 Power allocated higher than actual power capacity

Nicolai Rasmussen
Regular Advisor

C7000 Power allocated higher than actual power capacity

We're running C7000s with a mix of G7 and Gen8 blades (Running 3.70 on the OAs).

The enclosures are powered by 4 (four) HP 2400W 80 PLUS PLATINUM power supplies.

The power supplies are running in AC Redundant mode in a 2 plus 2 configuration, meaning the available power in the enclosure is 2x2450W (why they are called 2400W put actually output 2450W I don't know!) = 4900W.

After adding more and more Gen8 servers, we've discovered that the "Power allocated" within the enclosure has surpassed the actual Power available. Right now, we have an enclosure with 5062W/4900W allocated. The funny thing is that the enclosure just raise the power available to the exact amount of the power allocated. Which is fine by me, I just want to know if this is the STANDARD behavior. Currently the enclosure is only using 2699W/4900W(5062W), so we're nowhere near the actual power allocation.

However, I'm curious what would happen if I lose two of my power supplies (say PDU-A dies in my rack). What would happen then? The enclosure would NOT be able to raise the power available limit above 4900W.

I can of course TEST this, but I would really like to know if anyone else is in a similar situation as myself. Our power calculations was done with G7+10%, and it seems Gen8 go way above that (in their allocation, not in their actual power usage).

I'm asking because up until Gen8, I've been fine with only 4 power supplies in my enclosures. I need to know if I now have to raise it to 6 (as Gen8 seem vastly more power hungry than G7 unfortunately)...