3203 Online
108828 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Cannot login in VC with personal account after VC firmware update

Tom Wolf_3
Valued Contributor

Cannot login in VC with personal account after VC firmware update

Hello all.

We have a BladeSystem c7000 Enclosure G2 where the virtual connect firmware was just updated to 4.75

Prior to the firmware update, I was able to log into the virtual connect with my personal account.

After the update, I keep getting the following error when I try to log into the VC with that account:

Invalid User Name, Password, Role, unknown/improperly
configured Authentication Service, or combination of these.
NOTE: User Name and Password are case sensitive.

I can still log into this VC with the Administrator account.

But I'd rather not use it.

When I look at the VC System log I see these failures for my personal account but no other explanation.

2019-08-11T16:37:22-05:00 VCEX3C411300C3 vcmd: [VCD:GLE-537-24:1012:Warning] VCM user authentication failure

How would I resolve this?

As always, any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Tom Wolf

4 REPLIES 4
MV3
HPE Pro

HI Tom,

Good Day!

A firmware upgrade should not wipe of any user account if added in managing Users tab.

Were you using any LDAP user account in your VCM?

I would advise you to follow the correct procedure to creating a local account in VCM.

Please find the below HPE Virtual Connect for c-Class BladeSystem User Guide.

https://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-a00055965en_us-1.pdf

Refer page 65- 69 (Virtual Connect users and roles)

I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Tom Wolf_3
Valued Contributor

Hello MV3.

Thanks for the info.

Yes, we are using LDAP authentication on all our VCM's.

My personal account works fine on all the other VCM's, just this one that was updated to 4.75 is having issues.

Other VCM's will be update from 4.63 to 4.75 in the weeks to come.

I suspect I'll encounter the same issue on them after the update.

Not sure why LDAP is rejecting my login post firmware update.

I'm trying to get a resource in our organization familiar with LDAP to let me know how this would be addressed but not having much luck.

As noted, I can still login with the Administrator account but I don't like using that.

Is a new LDAP cert needed to fix this?

Thanks again for replying.

Thorus
Occasional Advisor

Hello Tom!

I had the same issue as yours, 

I’ve identified a minor issue, related to LDAP authentication on VCM after upgrade to v4.75, using a domain account, I cannot login anymore on VCM.

The issue is detailed on HPE Advisory a00075901en_us

DESCRIPTION - Login to Virtual Connect Manager (VCM) using LDAP authentication will not function after updating the HPE BladeSystem c-Class Virtual Connect firmware to version 4.75. This occurs because in HPE Virtual Connect releases prior to 4.75, no verification of the LDAP server certificate was performed when a LDAP login was authenticated and would succeed even if there was no LDAP server certificate uploaded.

RESOLUTION - Beginning with HPE Virtual Connect 4.75 (or later), the code has been enhanced to mandate the presence of LDAP server certificate for LDAP user authentication.To resolve the login issue, a self-signed certificate must be generated on the LDAP server and then uploaded in the following page of the Virtual Connect Manager GUI: LDAP Settings -> LDAP Server Settings -> LDAP Certificate.

I hope this will help you!

Good luck!

DanRobinson
HPE Pro

Good call, I was going to say it sounds like a Certificate Issue before I saw your reply.

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo