108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Enabling Dynamic Power Cap

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

Enabling Dynamic Power Cap

Hi all, I need to enable Dynamic Power Cap in my C3000 enclosure.

OA complains that I can't include my 2 blade servers in the Power Capping, because they are not licensed.

But when I bought the machines, my C3000 came with 8 FULL ICE licenses, that if I'm not wrong should include Power Management...

How can I enable this features? If I go into the ILO console on my blades, there's a LICENSE KEY field... But I have no idea where to find this key, I just have a couple of CDs, and that's all....

Any ideas?

Thank you
8 REPLIES 8
UK-Blr
Frequent Advisor

i believe you need to have ilo select or ICE license which give rdp, ilo advanced and power management options for blades.

Yes, 8 ICE licenses should give the power option for you..
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for confirming that... But... Any clue about where to find the license key?
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

Anyboby out there who has the Power Capping enabled, and that can help, please?

I'd just like to know how to enable my licenses.

Thank you again
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor
Solution

Rob as you have figured out you need to enter the iLO select license key into the iLO interface to do this.
The iLO license key is emailed to you when you register the ICE license key.
The ICE license key should be ona sheet in an A5 envelope that came with the blade enclosure.
Its A5 size HP blue/white with a little 3cm window in the middle.
If you cant find it...get the enclosure serial number and speak to your supplier. They should be able to get the ICE registration key.
While you are waiting...
GO here
https://h20293.www2.hp.com/portal/swdepot/try.do?productNumber=HPICEVAL
Register for the demo iLO Advanced Bladesystem license (its what select is now called).
Use that till you find your real licenses.
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

Adrian, thank you for the perfect answer. I appreciate. I'm now going for the envelope hunting :-)

cheers, thanks again.
Rob
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

Can't believe it.

Found the envelope, registered online, put in the KEY. Everything ok, now I have the Power Capping function.

I put in an upper limit. Click on OK.

RESULT:

"Enclosure Dynamic Power Cap feature is not allowed. Only one OA present. Dual OAs are required."

WHEN I PAID 2600 EURO FOR THIS F LICENSE NOBODY TOLD ME THAT. AS C3000 DOESN'T SUPPORT 2 OAs AND I DON'T NEED THE OTHER FUNCTIONS ENABLED BY THIS LICENSE:

I WANT MY MONEY BACK!
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Rob,
I never was aware of that.. but looking at the support matrix - its true.
http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/dynamic-power-capping/support.html
Rob_69_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Adrian. Yes, sadly, it is true...

This is a big problem for me.

The project I'm working on includes picking up all the hardware at some stage and install it within some ISP provider premises, in housing.

But the budget that has been planned for this (and that I can afford) is at the moment very much lower than the price for a high density computing rack.

So I was planning to hire a standard density rack. Even if the available electrical power would be lower, using the Power Capping, I'd have been able to make it.

On the short term, this ain't going to be a problem anyway, but as soon as I'd add a couple of blades, maybe some additional processors, more disks on the external disk array... THEN it's going to be a big problem, cause I won't meet the ISP maximum electrical power limits anymore.

Well, all this is VERY VERY MUCH DISAPPOINTING. Very much.