New Discussion юеВ

Firmware Update Problem

SOLVED
Go to solution
danobi
Frequent Advisor

Firmware Update Problem

Hi,

I have some BL460 G6 and I need to update their hard disk firmware. If I try to update it via VCA or directly with the CPxxxxx it tells me, that the hardware is not present on the system.
HP support told me to use the .scexe unter linux, but being a windows admin I do not know how to create a bootable and mountable virtual image.
HP told me to use the USB key utility to put the latest firmware dvd on an usb stick and then add the firmware scexe file.
I did that, but I cannot make the blade boot from the usb stick mounted via ILO.

So I created an .ima file of the usb stick by using winimage. ILO told me "invalid image". After that I created an iso image with mkisofs following this tutorial http://www.g-loaded.eu/2006/10/07/verify-a-burned-cddvd-image-on-linux/ - to no avail. It starts booting but then it stops with a checksum error.

I am really at wits end now and I hope anyone here can help me.

Many thanks in advance.
Daniela
19 REPLIES 19
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Firmware Update Problem

Download the latest firmware DVD image from hp.com.
Now you can boot directly from this via real or virtual DVD or use the USB stick creation tool from that DVD to create the USB (don't copy the files manually!).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
danobi
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the advice Torsten.
I am working with the latest 9.10b which does not include the firmware I need: HPD7 for EH0072FARUA.
I remember blurrily that there was a possibility to create bootable disk images from scexe files, but I cant find anything right now.
Joshua Small_2
Valued Contributor

Hi,

1: Make yourself a bootable USB or DVD based on the firmware in question.
2: Add the .scexe file for the firmware in question to the compaq\swpackages directory
3: Boot to your newly created media and run an update
JKytsi
Honored Contributor

9.10 C is the latest
Remember to give Kudos to answers! (click the KUDOS star)

You can find me from Twitter @JKytsi
danobi
Frequent Advisor

Thanks at you two for your replies.

I kinda solved the issue some days ago:

Since the servers are in a remote location I could not use an USB stick to boot from it.
So I burned the 9.10C on a DVD but didnt close the medium. Then I burned the scexe on it. Then I created an image of the DVD, mounted that and booted from it. No CP013508.scexe on it.

So I found out: it is not possible to create a complete ISO image from a multisession CD/DVD. It is however possible to put this DVD in my desktop's DVD drive and mount it as a virtual device.
So I was able to boot from this device and start the upgrade.

That the upgrade didn't work and that this is now escalalated to level 2 at HP is a totally different story. ;-/

cnb
Honored Contributor

danobi
Frequent Advisor

The start was, that the windows file did not work, leaving a log entry saying "no hardware found" on all our Blades BL460 G6.

I will keep you posted about the development.
danobi
Frequent Advisor

Funny thing:
I was about to post "Hey thanks, it worked with the new Firmware DVD" but luckily I did wait until after the reboot and started the firmware DVD again: HDDs still not updated.

No word from 2nd Level so far.