BladeSystem - General
1753691 Members
5517 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to segment servers within a blade enclosure running at different security classifications

snowy600
Occasional Contributor

How to segment servers within a blade enclosure running at different security classifications

Hi
Has anyone found any guidelines for supporting the separation of security classifications among individual servers on a singe blade enclosure?
Obviously this can technically be achieved but are there documents anywhere that can give approval guidelines for this? I'm looking for something ideally from CESG or similar?
I want to be able to run blade servers within a single enclosure, connecting to separate SAN's but the servers will be run at separate government security classification levels (e.g. Restricted and unclassified within the same enclosure) ?
2 REPLIES 2
Torqsis
Occasional Advisor

Re: How to segment servers within a blade enclosure running at different security classifications

LOL... Trying to do this from a PCI complaince too. You are going to run into issues with two sep security zones going through the same IC Bay. VLAN separation will not pass complaince. HP hardwires their nic's to specific IC bays. Someone may have a better insite an if so PLEASE SPEAK UP!! :) But that whole physical separation really sucks when trying to accomplish this. The next hurdle will be the separation of duties (server group and network group). This can be fixed by using a network switch instead of a VC I believe however I think you can config your VC's to alocate appropriate rights that will not conflict with policy. Clear as mud?
Ron Burke
Advisor

You probably could just create seperate zones on the SAN, and not worry the same chassis blade seperation. If you had seperate zones, there would be no way to mix class data unless you intentionally assigned a class zone to an unclass server.

You really shouldn't need seperate SANs either.