5325 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Installing operating system on a Blade

LRP
Frequent Advisor

Installing operating system on a Blade

Hello.
I was trying to install Linux Red Hat on a HP BL460c using smartstart and a mounted drive from another server.
In the step of choosing operating system, it only shows operating systems from Microsoft and Novell. No Linux operating systems.
I am using Smartstart 7.80, the same one that i use to deploy a Proliant DL580 G4, and in that installation the Linux Operating systems were there.
Can anyone help me? Is there an limitation from smartstart to install OS in blades?
3 REPLIES 3
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

No, you're mistaken. SmartStart does not provide assisted install paths for Linux for any ProLiant. You can use SmartStart to set up the hardware and array and then you must remove the CD and replace with the distribution CD boot and reboot, following that installation process. In the case of the BL460c, make sure you are at a minimum of RHEL4U2 for dual-core processor servers and RHEL4U4 for quad-core servers.
LRP
Frequent Advisor

But when i try to use Smartstart to configure array and hardware, and then continue to deploy the server, it comes a step where you must choose what operating system you are about to install. In that step it only shows Microsoft and Novell Operating systems.
So if i understand it, i configure the hardware and array and then i get out of smartstart and use the linux installation cd?
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

You are correct, it works fine if you do that way.

Raghuarch