New Discussion юеВ

Plugging a _server_ in a VC uplink port

SOLVED
Go to solution
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

Plugging a _server_ in a VC uplink port

Hi

I need to set up a C3000 with an iSCSI box at a departmental site, which only has one and only old 100mbit Cisco switch.

Since that switch is too slow for iSCSI traffic and is a SPOF, I've been thinking of creating a non-routable network (192.168.x.x) in my VC domain and share it between the blades, then plug the iSCSI box NICs directly in an uplink port of each VC.

Anybody tried a stunt like this, and does it work?

I've just tried it, and the port is labeled as "Linked/Standby" while it should normally be "Linked/Active"...

Points will be awarded, thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Plugging a _server_ in a VC uplink port

Oliver,

The Virtual Connect Best Practices doc (too big to attach) has example pictures of Servers and Printers connecting direct to uplinks.

The VC Myths/Misconceptions doc states that the uplink ports are seen by switches as server ports.

Try a twisted cable?
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

You don't need a crossover cable. You do need to make sure you only have one external port on the VC module assigned to the VC Network. If you have more than one network VM will try to aggregate them using LACP. If it can't use LACP it will pick one to make active, and put the rest in standby. This sounds like what you're seeing.

This means you can't have two ports assigned to a VC network with one connected to the switch, ans another connected to the NAS. Can you put another NIC in the NAS, and connect one to VC, and the other to the switch?
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
Olivier Masse
Honored Contributor

Thanks for your answers. At least this confirms that what I want to do is possible.

I updated to VC firmware 2.01 and the uplinks are now OK.

Ole Thomsen_1
Trusted Contributor

I am unable to find this Best Practises cocument describing servers attached to uplink ports?

A link will be appreciated.

Ole Thomsen