New Discussion юеВ

Re: Redundancy differences between C7000 and C3000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ugo Bellavance (ATQ)
Frequent Advisor

Redundancy differences between C7000 and C3000

Hi,

What are the differences between a C-7000 and C-3000 enclosure, is it only that the C-7000 can have 2 Onboard Administrator (OA) units?

Thanks,
5 REPLIES 5
The Brit
Honored Contributor

The answer to this question is a small book.

The c3000 enclosure is not designed for redundancy, and configuration options are limited.

The c7000 enclosure IS designed for redundancy and configuration options are endless.

Decide what you want to get from your blade system, and then get your nose in the books!

Thats the best I can do without sacrificing the rest of my evening. Sorry.

Dav.e
Benoy Daniel
Trusted Contributor

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

In a c3000, all internal NICs of the blades are wired to a single interconnect module bay. If you lose that interconnect module, you will lose all network connectivity unless you have added extra NICs in the mezzanine slots and an extra LAN I/O module(s) in the appropriate slot(s).

In a c7000, the internal NICs are split between two I/O modules in slots 1 and 2. The downside is that you will need two I/O modules to make all your internal NICs useable, but the upside is that it will be possible to configure them in a redundant fashion (i.e. with no extra NICs, only half of your LAN bandwidth will be lost if you lose an I/O module).

The same is true with the mezzanine slot 1: in a c3000, all the connections from that mezzanine slot in each blade are directed to I/O module slot 2. In a c7000, they are split between I/O module slots 3 and 4.

The mezzanine slot 2 (and 3 in full-height blades) is split further: if you plug in a dual-port FibreChannel HBA in mezzanine slot 2, two SAN I/O modules will be required to use both ports in both enclosure types: a c3000 will need to have SAN I/O modules in slots 3 and 4, while in a c7000 the slots to use are numbers 5 and 6.

On the other hand, if you plug in a quad-port card into mezzanine slot 2 of a blade in a c7000 enclosure, you will require *four* I/O modules (in slots 5, 6. 7 and 8) to make all the ports useful.

You must understand that the I/O routing from the blades to the I/O modules is hardwired: you cannot just configure any NIC or HBA to use any I/O module you wish. This is true in both c3000 and c7000 enclosures. The I/O routing diagrams are among the most important tools when designing a configuration for c-class enclosures. You'll find them in the documentation of each enclosure.

MK
MK
Carlos Sendra
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I am very surprised because I am configuring a c3000 enclosure and the Onboard Administrator is in the right, ie, in the place of OA2, and OA 1 is blank.

It's possible or it could be an error??
Dnortham
Advisor

No the new C3000 OA sleeves allow for (2) OA's