108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Setting Up VPN

Pepperpot
Occasional Contributor

Setting Up VPN

Please could somebody help me setup a simple VPN On My Blade Enclosure

I have a C3000 with BL460C Blades and a GBE2C Switch

all of my blades connect throug the switch at present all the blades are on a 10.0.0.0 network.

I would like the blade in Bay 4 to be on a seperate 192.168.71.0 network. The blade in bay 4 uses ports 7 and 15 on the switch

i have created a new vlan on the switch and added ports 7 15 and 24 to the new vlan, but it does not seem to be working

port 24 is connected to my firewall and the firewall is set as a dhcp server, the blade however never gets its ip address.

have i missed something??

John

1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Setting Up VPN

First, what you are building sounds more like a regular VLAN.

A good rule of thumb would be: VLANs separate hosts in the same physical network to different virtual network segments; VPN joins together widely-separated hosts/networks into a virtual private network segment.

You said the switch port 24 is connected to your firewall.

• Is the new VLAN assigned to port 24 in tagged or untagged mode?
  • If in tagged mode, the firewall needs to be configured to recognize the same VLAN number you're using in your switch, and to have an interface (and probably an IP address) on the 192.168.71.0 network associated with the VLAN.
  • If in untagged mode, is the firewall port dedicated to network 192.168.71.0, or do you expect it to transfer other traffic too? A network port can pass many VLANs in tagged mode simultaneously, but only one VLAN in untagged mode.

If your firewall is configured to act as a DHCP server on a 10.0.0.0 network, it won't automatically act as a DHCP server on a 192.168.71.0 network too. A different network segment needs its own DHCP configuration... and a DHCP server (or a DHCP relay) also needs to have an IP address on the network it servers: all DHCP response must have a valid source IP address, so they cannot come from an IP-less entity.

If you manually find a free IP address on the 192.168.71.0 network and try to ping the default gateway of that network, it might help to determine where the problem is. If you get a response, your VLAN configuration is OK but the DHCP needs work; if you don't get a response, either the default gateway is configured to not answer pings, or the networking (most likely the firewall/gateway) is not properly configured yet.

MK