BladeSystem - General
1748058 Members
5288 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Stacking Connection between VC-nets

Marcos Silveira

Stacking Connection between VC-nets

Does anybody knows if its supported and how I can reach some documentation of Stacking Connection between Virtual Connect Modules located in distints Enclosure?

We have a scenario where there are 2 Enclosures, boths with 2 VC-net connected in the interconnect bay 1 and 2. So, the idea using the Stacking cable create 10G connection between them.

I'm been looking for documentation and explain it but with no success up to than.
6 REPLIES 6
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

Simple stacking rules....

Horizontally connected Virtual Connect modules have an internal 10Gb stacking link.

When you stack VCs together join them up in a ring using external 10Gb cables and considering the internal links.

Maximum cable length supported is 7m for 10Gb Copper. (Sometimes its stated as 15m. I've not checked.)

You can stack between enclosures but the enclosures must
(a) have an overal total of 16 or less VC-E modules
(b) have the right firmware
(c) must all be in the same domain.

So unless you make both enclosures in the same domain... no you cannot stack between enclosures.

Look at the VC-firmware release notes for good info.
Marcos Silveira

Hi Clint,

Thanks so much for the information.

Do you know that is the VC-net firmware version supports the stacking connection between 2 Enclosures and where I can reach a doc about it?

Thanks again!
Adrian Clint
Honored Contributor

1.32 firmware was where it was enabled, but only in Beta and you had to apply to HP for code to enable it.

Are you wanting to cross stacking links between enclosures for network traffic reasons or to move server profiles?
Marcos Silveira

Hi Adrian,

My intention is permit all local traffic from blade servers located in Enclosure 1 directly through this stacking cable to reach the server located in Enclosure 2.

So, this communication would not pass through the core switches (which have Downlink directly to both the Enclusures).

Thanks so much!

Marcos
The Brit
Honored Contributor

Hi Marcos,
What you are actually referring to is "Enterprise VC Domain Manager", which as Adrian pointed out, is still in Beta testing, (at least I haven't seen an announcement about its general availability yet, (but I could be wrong)).

Dave
Marcos Silveira

Friends,

My objective is starting the data communication (all the traffic) between the servers into both Enclosures over this 10GE stacking connection.

Thanks and regards,

Marcos.