BladeSystem - General
1748269 Members
3579 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Using Virtual Connect Flex-10 modules as interconnect "switches" between blades

SOLVED
Go to solution
Archetim_1
Occasional Contributor

Using Virtual Connect Flex-10 modules as interconnect "switches" between blades

Hi folks... We're planning to implement a c7000 with Flex-10. I have a question regarding the Flex-10 modules.

Hardware-Configuration should be:

- c7000 with 2 Virtual Connect Flex-10 modules
- 6 BL460c G6 with their 2 10Gb LOM each
- 1 SB40c direct attached storage, connected to one of the BL460c (will run SANmelody)

The goal should be:

- Connect all BL460c within a LAN in one subnet, using f.i. 2Gb bandwidth
- Connect this subnet via one uplink-port to the "world"
- Connect all BL460c to a LAN in another subnet, used for chassis-internal iSCSI-Connection to the storage blade, using f.i. 8Gb bandwidth

Is it possible to use ONLY the Flex-10-Modules to connect the Blades to each other? Is the Flex-10-Module able to act as an unmanaged switch between the Blades? I already read the "Cookbook" and many others of HPs tech. briefs, but the more I read, the more I became confused.

I hope someone can explain it to me :-)

Reg., Archetim
4 REPLIES 4
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Using Virtual Connect Flex-10 modules as interconnect "switches" between blades

yes, If you create a network within VC without uplinks, it can be used for servers to communicate internally, By default port X7 and X8 are used an internal connection between adjacent modules, having said that you can actually get NICs mapping to different modules to communicate internally.
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

hi Archetim,

It sounds like you need at least three network connections here. Fortunately your implementation will allow what you are trying to do. Here is my recommendation.

First, connect the Flex-10 modules to external switches or routers. Configure a virtual network in the Virtual Connect Manager and assign the uplink ports you cabled. Use the server profiles to assign NICs 1a and 2a to this "world" network for redundancy.

Next, configure another virtual network for network traffic internal to the enclosure. Do not assign any uplink ports to this network. Assign to 1b/2b on the server profiles.

Use a similar virtual network for 1c/2c; this will be for your iSCSI traffic and will also have no uplink ports assigned.

In our case the setup only worked if we also assigned NICs 1d/2d to a network, so we created another "dummy" network with no uplink ports.

Finally, adjust your flex NIC speeds as desired. Simple right? :)

Good luck, if you appreciate the answers we appreciate the points!
rick jones
Honored Contributor
Solution

A VC Flex-10 I/O module will not "switch" traffic between uplink ports - ie the ports that come-out the faceplate of the I/O module. So, it cannot act like a managed/unmanged switch as far as the uplink ports are concerned.

It will however, quite happily "switch" traffic between the downlink ports - ie the ports connected to the blades themselves.

Perhaps that is the source of the confusion?
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Archetim_1
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for all of your replies. I can see clearly now, what's up with these mystic parts :-)