4212 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Virtual connect stacking

toni osta
Frequent Advisor

Virtual connect stacking

Hi

as i have 4 VC enet switch in the c7000 enclosure , i want that virtual connect manager could see the 4 of them when configuring uplink ports
in that case we need stacking these VC ,
or i dont have the VC stack cable that connect the X1 and X2 ports
even i am not able to see(in the stacking links) directly the horizental VC switch that should be connected internaly with X0 port

how i can connect these modules without the 10basecx4 cables ?

thank you
5 REPLIES 5
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Toni,

Stacking links are used to interconnect Virtual Connect Ethernet Modules when using more than one enclosure (future) or when using more than two Virtual Connect Ethernet Modules in a single enclosure.

http://h71028.www7.hp.com/ERC/downloads/4AA0-5821ENW.pdf
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Virtual Connect Ethernet modules support 10GBASE-CX4 stacking cables 0.5 m to 7 m (1.64 ft to 23.00ft). The 1000BASE-T links can also be used as stacking links of up to 100 m (328 ft). When multiple cables of either the same or dissimilar type (for example 1Gb and 10Gb) are connected to the same two modules, they are aggregated to provide enhanced throughput for the stacking link.

Refer to Page 37 in the User guide.
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00865618/c00865618.pdf
toni osta
Frequent Advisor

the problem that i have connected the VC switch in bay 1 to VC switch in bay 3 and VC switch in bay 2 to VC switch in bay 4 ,
i have used ethernet straight cable ,and i have tried cross cable but with no success ,
because in the stacking link options in the virtual connect manager , there is no stacking links presented ,
and i can only use the 8 ports of the VC switch in bay one ,
so the 3 other switches i can not use them

thank you
Raghuarch
Honored Contributor

Is the Port used as Stacking used in any other Network definition?

Only ports that have not been designated as an uplink port in a network are eligible to become stacking links. If a port has been designated as an uplink port, and then is subsequently connected to another Virtual Connect Ethernet module, the port will not become a stacking link until it is removed from the network definition as an uplink port.

Page 38 of the user guide, if you have a loop then the stacking won't work.
Neal Bowman
Respected Contributor

Toni,
Check your uplink configuration. "Only ports that have not been designated as an uplink port in a network are eligible to become stacking
links. If a port has been designated as an uplink port, and then is subsequently connected to another
Virtual Connect Ethernet module, the port will not become a stacking link until it is removed from the
network definition as an uplink port."

Neal