Go to solution
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Virtual connect stacking

Hi,

Our current environment on one of our sites:
- Two C7000 enclosures,
- In each enclosure we have
* 2 HP 1/10Gb-F Virtual Connect Ethernet Modules in interconnect bays 1 and 2, connected to our network backbone
* 2 HP 1/10Gb-F Virtual Connect Ethernet Modules in interconnect bays 3 and 4, connected to our iSCSI network

iSCSI network is physically different from our network backbone.

VC domain "1" defined for enclosure 1 and VC domain "2" defined for enclosure 2.
No stacking links exists. VC-Enet have last firmware.

We want to connect VC-Enet in bays 1 and 2 from Enclosure 1 to VC-Enet in bays 1 and 2 from Enclosure 2 with stacking links.

We want to connect VC-Enet in bays 3 and 4 from Enclosure 1 to VC-Enet in bays 3 and 4 from Enclosure 2 with stacking links as well.

We want to make VC domain "1" only for our network backbone and VC domain "2" only for our iSCSI network (i.e. to move VC-Enet in bays 1 and 2 from Enclosure 2 to VC domain "1", VC-Enet in bays 3 and 4 from Enclosure 1 to VC domain "2",....)

Is all this procedure possible ?
Can we establish stacking links between VC's in differenet enclosures ?
Can we move VC-enet modules between VC domains ?

One more question - currently we have "Stacking link failed message" in VC manager because we don't have stacking links between VC-enet modules
in bay 1-2 and bay 3-4. Because we will never connect these VC-enet modules with stacking link (it is physically different networks) - can we disable this message ?

Thanks, Igor
4 REPLIES 4
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Virtual connect stacking

Stacking between enclosures is currently a beta feature in the 1.3x firmware, but not the 2.x firmware. I think VC Manager has a link to apply for a beta license key.

I believe multi-enclosure stacking is planned as a production feature in future firmware, but the schedule's not publicly available.

You can just put a 1Gb Cat 5 cable between bays 1/3 - 2/4 and the error will go away. no traffic will be routed over the connection if it's not configured to.

Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
Igor Karasik
Honored Contributor

Ken, thanks for the answer !

After multi-enclosure stacking will be available (we have 2.x firmware and don't want downgrade) - can we move VC-enet modules between VC domains ?
Ken Henault
Honored Contributor

Sure, you'll be deleting from one domain, then adding it to another domain as if it were a new device. No configuration information will be carried over when you move it.
Ken Henault
Infrastructure Architect
HP
ilayy
Regular Advisor

ken
if i just move the vc without deleting it from the first domain. the vc will be reset to default automatically ? so when i insert it in a new enclosure all blade servers will boot with no problem using their default mac address?