Communications and Wireless
1754403 Members
3184 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

HP Pavillion dv6000 network & SM Bus Controller Download

Deastra

HP Pavillion dv6000 network & SM Bus Controller Download

I've been downgrading my dv6000 from vista to XP and experiencing some unrecognized devices problems.

The network controller and SM bus controller remain with '?' marks on the device manager.

I've been downloading and installing all the XP drivers from HP Pavillion dv6000 CTO drivers and downloads page and yet the problems still occuring.

Can anyone give me a clue on how to solve this?
Thanks before.
1 REPLY 1
Cornelius Hamhole

Re: HP Pavillion dv6000 network & SM Bus Controller Download

I just completed the same operation and encountered three issues which I fixed- one of them was with the SM Bus Controller. I now have a "clean" device manager listing with no exclamation points.

Here were the three issues and what fixed them:

Issue #1: Windows XP Pro couldn't find any connected hard drive during the initial installation process.

Solution: Using advice found on the HP site ( http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00758841&dlc=en&product=1842155 ), I disabled "Native SATA Mode". The other option is to obtain and use the driver during the install process; probably a better option... but the needs of my project were such that this was unnecessary.

Issue #2: Many DV6000 HP drivers did nothing when installed.

Solution: Using the product number from the sticker on the bottom of the laptop I did a driver search on HP's support site and learned that my particular machine was a dv6000t. All labels on the machine list dv6000. Once I used 6000t drivers, I was quickly down to only a few question marks in device manager.

Issue #3: The "SM Bus Controller" appears in device manager as an unknown device.

Solution: Checking the "Device Instance ID" of this device shows that the Vendor ID is "8086"... Intel. Some further searching on the Device ID ("DEV_27DA") led me to discover that I needed to install Intel's "INF Update Utility" found here:
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=816&DwnldID=16026&strOSs=44&OSFullName=Windows*%20XP%20Professional〈=eng
Once installed, the device is listed as "Intel(R) 82801G (ICH Family) SMBus Controller - 27DA"

I hope this helps future installers, if not the original poster (since about five months have elapsed!)

-Cornelius