Communications and Wireless
1755672 Members
3546 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Problem assigning IP address manually to a WL400 Access Point

Simon Baker_2

Problem assigning IP address manually to a WL400 Access Point

I have a WL400 wireless access point connected to a WinXP PC. The WL400 is connected into a hub and then the hub into the NIC on the PC. I have installed AP Manager and am going through the newtork wizard section. It gets as far as searching for access points and doesn't find any automatically (should it?) so i have to continue to assign MAC and IP addresses manually. Whatever IP i choose to assign it rejects it. Does it matter that it is plugged via a hub as i have no regualr patch cables to connect it straight to the PC direct??

any advice on how i can get it to work? What would be a suitabel IP address to assign (please give an example fo an IP address and network range)??

thanks for your help
3 REPLIES 3
Jerome Henry
Honored Contributor

If your WL400 is a wireless AP, I do not see why you try to set it up thru cable. You should have a wireless NIC, which would try to get the AP without this problem.

Notice that if you plug AP to Hub, it should be a crossover cable. The being on a hub is no problem.
A valid IP could be 192.168.0.2, mask 255.255.255.0

hth

J
You can lean only on what resists you...
Simon Baker_2

yeah i have a WL200 WLAN PCI card in another machine which has been installed and recognised fine (thats in a Win98 machine)

The problem arises on my XP machine as the AP is connected to it (via a hub)but when it is trying to set up the "wireless LAN" and "detect AP" in AP Manager it can't manage to assign a valid IP address to the AP, which i understand is needed in order for it to work?
Mark Uber

I got the same problem.

the AP Manager is not XP compliant -seems to me-
I was obliged to install win2K to set the IP Address

Then AP work but XP still have problem with 'writing operations' on AP.