1752754 Members
4565 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 3com baseline switch 2824 sfpplus interface

robinsoncrusoe

3com baseline switch 2824 sfpplus interface

I'm a newbie on switch's.

Is this switch has an interface(i saw on the product details).

How can i manage it?

For routers i write ip like 192.168.2.1 and see the router management interface. For this product?

7 REPLIES 7
kamilfn
Occasional Advisor

robinsoncrusoe

Thank you.

robinsoncrusoe

When i looked at the link you've given me the product is 3com baseline switch 2824.

I have that one too. But the one i ask is 3Com┬о Baseline Switch 2824-SFP Plus.

http://www.3com.com/products/en_US/detail.jsp?tab=features&pathtype=purchase&sku=3C16487

• A cable diagnostics tool allows the user to troubleshoot cabling problems through the convenience of a menu based Web-management interface

• This is the thing i want to learn. How can i access this interface?

This message was edited by robinsoncrusoe on 3-15-10 @ 2:30 AM
    kamilfn
    Occasional Advisor

My bad, you have right.

There are two options:

1: Ip address is somewhere on the switch (propably next to mac on the sticker) and will be like 169.x.x.x

2: You have to connect to switch using console cable and then set the ip address.

robinsoncrusoe

169.254.0.0. This is the ip address i found on the old forum topics.

When i try to connect, it says host is unreachable. Can connecting to switch with ip option be disabled? We have a Netasq F60 firewall, can this device prevent me from accessing to switch ui with that ip?

I didn't see nor a serial port neighter a usb port on the switch but i couldn't see well, the spaces between devices are very narrow. Now i'll go to the server room and try to take a better look.

As you see, i'm totally unexperienced about these devices. But i'll learn in time.

One last question. As i told we have Netasq F60 firewall. I want to learn which port of the switch goes to which ip, computer mac address and host name. Can i do it from firewall device without connecting to switch user interface? It has a serial port and a usb port and i see some software on the server about that firewall, but i didn't have time to analyze them.

Thank you for your help.

Edit : I went and take a look. ip address was 169.254.196.210. Still no chance to access. It says host is unreachable.(404 page not found)

Edit 2 : I found a discovery tool from the website and entrance page comes. :D

Tool's download address;

ftp://ftp.3com.com/pub/networkservers/networkstorage/Discovery6.0.exe

Now i'll try default username and password, if i can find them :)

Edit 3:

User: Admin

Password:

worked :D Now i'll try to find if there's a port map tool there.

This message was edited by robinsoncrusoe on 3-15-10 @ 3:46 AM
    kamilfn
    Occasional Advisor

You have to learn network basics.

If switch has ip 169.254.196.210 you have to set in your computer ip like 169.254.196.209 (same subnet), gateway is not necessary. 

About your second question - I dont know for sure what you want. If you want to see what mac is on the port you have to check it on the switch, if you will use SNMP you can do it on remote machine.

And one more thing about console cable - its COM to rj45 so on switch you have rj45 port somewhere next to power cord (i mean back of switch).

This message was edited by kamilfn on 3-15-10 @ 5:12 AM
    robinsoncrusoe

Thank you.

Now i get access to the user interface. But it's not as i hope.

I want all the information, ip, mac address, host name. I think i'll use a third party program. What's up gold or solidworks toolbox may help me.

As a result you were right. 3com baseline 2824 sfpplus has a ui but 3com baseline 2824 does not. I have to work with both of them.