New Discussion юеВ

3COM Series 5500 VLAN Questions

SOLVED
Go to solution
chris2016
Occasional Contributor

3COM Series 5500 VLAN Questions

Dear All,

I'd like to setup VLANs on some 3Com Series 5500 switches. We already have STP enabled. I've read a lot on the internet, but I'm not sure if I understood everything correctly.

1. Can I use VLAN ID 1 for computers on the network, that is on access ports? The configuration guide says I shouldn't, but unfortunately gives no reason. Furthermore, the same guide says, a trunk port couldn't be added to VLAN 1. Why not? Is VLAN 1 always untagged? Some websites suggest untagged VLAN 1 was required for STP? Is this implicated anyhow?

2. Configuration guide: "a trunk port only allows the packets from the default VLAN to be sent without tags." Is "default VLAN" VLAN ID 1 or is it the PVID specified on the trunk port?

3. To quickly setup some guest Wifi access points: is it possible to keep all machines untagged on VLAN 1, put the APs to VLAN-ID 1 untagged (management) and VLAN-ID 2 tagged trunks (guests, own SSID) and set the ports between the switches to trunk (VLAN-ID 1 untagged, VLAN-ID 2 tagged)? What would be the disadvantage?

Is there any 3Com documentation covering such questions? I've only worked with HP ProCurve and there you can just select in a table tagged / untagged / forbidden for each port and VLAN. That's much clearer. Although I haven't used STP then.

- Chris

2 REPLIES 2
16again
Respected Contributor
Solution

Re: 3COM Series 5500 VLAN Questions

-1 You can still use VLAN1 for end devices.  Recommendation not to use VLAN is mainly security (example prevent VLAN hoppping)
-2 On trunk port, only a single VLAN can be untagged. Default this is VLAN1, indeed you can alter with PVID
-3 Your suggested config will work fine

Most H3C comware switches have detailed manual. Config-wise, they're more like Cisco switches.
Studying Cisco exams gave me solid understanding of network foundation, which comes in handy when touching other vendors stuff.

chris2016
Occasional Contributor

Re: 3COM Series 5500 VLAN Questions

Thank you very much! This is exactly what I was looking for. I'll get the cisco exams.

- Chris