1753454 Members
6371 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Baseline 2250

James Gadbois
Occasional Contributor

Baseline 2250

So I'm the only one having trouble withe this switch? I posted about this before concerning slow ping times when directly connected and pinging the switch itself with no response!

3COM are you even watching these forums?

2 REPLIES 2
aaguiar
Occasional Advisor

Re: Baseline 2250

Sending echo-request ICMP packets directly to your switches isnt a good testing criterion.

You see, many contemporary switches do not see replying to echo-requests to themselves as a priority.

I once worked with switches from a telecommunications equipments manufacturer that replied echo-requests with a 11ms delay or more, no matter your network load.

Check the cpu usage statistics or use end-to-end network throughput testing tools.

James Gadbois
Occasional Contributor

Re: Baseline 2250

I have worked with just about every major manufacturer of switches and NEVER had one that respond the way this switch does.

Most modern switches should easily be able to handle pings from every port simultanously including those directed at the fabric. The switch I'm dealing with has perhaps 10 active ports out of 24 at any one time.

I have a hard time believing that the varying times I'm seeing have to do with the switch wasting buffer space and time priortizing pings directed at its fabric. The ping times are all over the place.

MS sends 32 bytes of data in a ping. The switch cannot handle 32 bytes? And what about the issue I stated in my original post. I have never seen a switch not properly recognize the speed and duplex of a device on power up. But this model does.

There is something wrong in the code.