4854 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Changing bridge interface for 5800 switch

Roland_1_1
Occasional Contributor

Changing bridge interface for 5800 switch

Hello,

We have 2 procurve switches (4204) that are connected to 2 HP 5800  switches (IRF). At the moment there is a connection with bridged connections.

There is for this bridge no vlan permit specified. The procurve switches only have traffic at vlan 1 at the moment. I need to extend additional vlans to the procurve switches.

There are 2x 4 physical interfaces per procurve switch, an example for one interface at the 5800 switches:

#

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1

port link-mode bridge

description to Switch 8

qos trust dot1p

port link-aggregation group 8

#

The bridge:

#

interface Bridge-Aggregation8

description Switch 8

link-aggregation mode dynamic

mad enable

#

The procurve switches only have ports in vlan 1, the additional vlans are configured but at the moment without any ports. The interfaces that are connected with the 5800 switches are combined with a trunk (Trk1) at the HP switch (per switch, no IRF).

When i want to extend an extra vlan to one of the procurve switches, do i need to configure the following to the bridge aggregation?

port link-type trunk

port trunk permit vlan 1 12

And if this is correct, can i do this live, without connection disruption?

I also found out that one bridge aggregrations to the procurve switches has "mad enable" configured, and for another this is not configured. I found some information online that this is for the IRF. Is it advised to enable this for another bridge interface?

Any help is appriciated.

Regards,

Roland

3 REPLIES 3
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Re: Changing bridge interface for 5800 switch

port link-type trunk

port trunk permit vlan 1 12

^ this is right. since ths default PVID vlan is 1, this should not affect traffic. I would probably do this off hours though, since there might be a chance that the interface flaps, but I cant really remember. 

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S

Roland_1_1
Occasional Contributor

Hello Frederik,

Thank you for your answer. I just created a test with another HP Procurve switch and tested the behaviour. I tested with a ping to an end node connected to the HP Procurve at vlan 1. The connection is not interupted.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Roland

Richard Litchfield
Respected Contributor

MAD enable - if that is for MAD over LACP I don't think that will work since the MAD-LACP extensions are not recognised by the ProCurve switches.