1755131 Members
2689 Online
108830 Solutions
New Discussion

Configuration recommendations for 5700 switches

Chrisbey
Occasional Contributor

Configuration recommendations for 5700 switches

I have a demonstration lab with various HPE equipment and I'm taking out some old Brocade VDX switches and replacing them with 5700's.  As this is a lab I want to be able to reconfigure things easy and isolate workloads if needed. 

I have connected two ports on my switch to my core network.  I think my next step to create a dynamic Bridge Aggregation Group (BAGG).

I don't want to use IRF if I don't have to.  Is there a reason I have to use IRF?

New to switching so any help is greatly appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
akg7
HPE Pro

Re: Configuration recommendations for 5700 switches

Hi @Chrisbey,

Both IRF and Bridge Aggregation are different technology.
IRF virtualization technology offers processing power, interaction, unified management, and uninterrupted maintenance of multiple devices
IRF provides the following benefits:
--Simplified topology and easy management
--1:N redundancy
--IRF link aggregation
--Multichassis link aggregation
--Network scalability and resiliency

where as Link Aggregation or Bridge Aggregation bundles multiple physical Ethernet links into one logical link, called an aggregate link. Link aggregation has the following benefits:--Increased bandwidth beyond the limits of any single link. In an aggregate link, traffic is distributed across the member ports.
--Improved link reliability. The member ports dynamically back up one another. When a member port fails, its traffic is automatically switched to other member ports.

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
Chrisbey
Occasional Contributor

akg7, Thank you for the info!  Can I configure fail over between two switches without implementing IRF?

akg7
HPE Pro

Hi @Chrisbey ,

Yes you can if you  want to bundle itnerfaces only.

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
akg7
HPE Pro

Hi,

Has my post helped you to answer your query?

Thanks!